Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-10-2010   #11
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by Blade&Shaft View Post
I have no idea what that means, but from your profile pic, I guess it makes sense...
Doode, I'd be careful, if I were you, about entering into a profile pic comp.

Here's a little about squirting...

Squirt boating is mostly about the Mystery Move these days. Typically a good spot is a "squeeze" between two currents (a convergence of 2 currents below an island like at Rincon on the Ark for instance) where boaters spin their boats and wing down for a head gone ride. The modern squirt boat is shaped like an inverted wing so a downward pressure is created as water passes over and under its hull while it spins along an underwater "eddyline". It can be a deep soulful experience and the "holding of one's breath" and the quality of the experience can lead to a "Mystery trance". Mystery masters can get controlled head gone rides of 45 seconds and more at good spots.

The best rios for squirting tend to be deep hence those that squirt in the Rockies are a dam dedicated bunch...

Squirt boaters were also some of the first playboaters and most all moves that don't include air were invented by the early squirters. Think 3D and any moves that are rotational on either axis. There's almost no power exerted in squirting, its all about flow and working with the currents. A good squirter makes boating look elegant.

(Parental plug warning)...

BV's Dustin Urban is known for his fluid style while he kicks it in playboating comps but he grew up squirting on the deep Kennebec Gorge and is a former squirt World Champ. His roots are in working with the rio rather than trying to power through moves and it shows.

For more on squirting, boating and exposure to one of the sports pioneers and poets read Jim Snyder's Squirt Book.

And if you really want to up your game get one of his hand crafted wood paddles.

Home rivrstyx custom wood kayak and canoe paddles

Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #12
So with all this talk is there going to be a Rincon Rendezvous this year? I have missed it every year because I had to work but now that I am not a raft guide any more I want to go and give this squirt thing a try.

tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #13
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

Good music on the video. Who is it?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #14
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Squirt boating is definitely a "niche" sub-group in kayaking, but a TON of fun. There are still a few dedicated squirters up on the Snake here in Jackson, although I gave mine up because it wasn't really built for my foot size. S. Fork Payette has great squirting too. Took a clinic from the Snyder brothers and Jesse Wittemore over there a long time ago. Would love to be able to afford a new custom-made BigFoot. Going deep and long on an eddyline mystery move is one of the coolest things you can do in a kayak, so is back- and front-blasting in a big hole. Have gone 10-15ft under water and upwards of 200ft downstream in an eddyline called the "Dream Seam" up here. Sick rush. Squirting is all about technique, too, so it really helps improve your paddling and boat-control skill.
So many rivers, so little time..........
WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #15
Kingston, New York
Originally Posted by gannon_w View Post
Yeah thats a cool video but not a good example of holding your breath!
I think you totally missed the point. Sure, the video is a composite of multiple dives, but forget that. Other than actually making it all the way to the bottom, the diver could have done what was shown in one dive, as he can hold his breath for longer than the duration of the video. It was only capturing the video from multiple shots that required making multiple dives. It isn't supposed to be an example of holding your breath, it about the experience of holding your breath. I don't know about you, but the video definitely made me feel like holding my breath could be an incredibly magical experience.

Props for reading the info about the video, though, as some people obviously can't manage that. The music is "You Make Me Feel", by Archive.
scagrotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #16
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Originally Posted by tony View Post
So with all this talk is there going to be a Rincon Rendezvous this year? I have missed it every year because I had to work but now that I am not a raft guide any more I want to go and give this squirt thing a try.
Rincon Rendezvous 2010 // August 6-8
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #17
Buena Vista, Colorado
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Good music on the video. Who is it?
Buena Vista Social Club.

"Squirt Boating? Is holding your breath really that fun?" I love it! That's gotta make it's way into something more permanent than a buzz post.

Shaft, you should come out to the Rincon Rendezvous and jump in a boat, cause I highly suspect you'd find it to be that fun.

Len is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010   #18
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
After seeing everyone's posts on the topic, I gotta say that squirt boating does sound pretty cool. Just goes to show how explaining something that one might not know much about can illuminte why others really enjoy it. I can see how holding your breath for a long time, watching other boats pass overhead, using underwater currents, and ending up way away from where you went under could be a rad experience... I guess our CO rivers aren't as conducive to the sport hence why we don't see much of it out here, maybe adding to the allure or mysteriousness of it all. Good stuff!
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010   #19
lol, cracks me up
Blueball, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 76ad
loss of brain cells

I had a boyfriend who used to squirt all over the place.
"I didn't want to say it to his face,but wild horses couldn't drag me to Texas!" From movie Cheyenne Social Club
cracksmeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010   #20
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
Squirt Japan

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote