Old 05-21-2009   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Spray on vs. wash in gore-tex treatment?

Anyone know what the difference in the products is?

I have some of the wash in stuff but I'd rather spray it on. I'm thinking i should dilute it with some water, but really I'm just guessing.

The key seems to be putting it on a wet garment and drying it. Iron dry is the only option since gaskets are involved.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #2
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I believe the wash in is for garments without a wicking liner and the spray on is for garments with a mesh or wicking liner.

If you get the Nikwax spray the directions are to wet the item then spray it and let it air dry.

Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #3
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I've always avoided the wash-in, since it would treat the inside also and for goretex to work best, you don't want that inner layer hydrophobic. I've only used the spray on, with no heat treatment. I'd follow the instructions, likely they don't call out diluting. But if you do multiple applications, you'd probably be fine diluting, and might get more/better/even coverage than one full-strength layer?
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #4
I just used the sprayed on stuff for my drytop a couple of days ago- was worried about the gaskets with the wash in stuff. It worked fairly well, but I'm going to do another coat sometime soon. It was easy - just wet it then sprayed then let air dry and it helped a bit but I'm still wet, my drytop sucks.

Whiskey's for drinkin' and waters for fightin'
- Mark Twain
wycoloboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #5
pnw, Washington
Spray on, to a clean(multi-rinses) and wet garmet. Let it dry completely then set the dwr with the iron. I used an old t-shirt over the ironing area just to be sure I didnt cook my drytop.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
My bottle of spray ran out, so I sprayed the rest with the wash in stuff. I'll let you know if it pans out or not. The one time I actually remember ironing it on it worked really well. I wish I was more motivated.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #7
Spray on here too. I've used it many times on a 15yo North Face jacket I have and we use it on fishing waders also. The trick there fisherman use for items you can't or don't want to put in the dryer or iron is to use a hair dryer. Wet it, spray on, and blast it with the hair dryer for a few minutes. good to go. I definitely would not dilute it.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009   #8
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993

You do want to iron it, as this heats, melts and brings the DWR back to the surface which is a teflon coating.

The best way to do this is to wet your top place a towell over it and iron it just like a shirt.

stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote