Old 08-13-2007   #11
Local, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to paddlebizzle
This "Sportsman's Paradise" group seems like a bunch of jackass clowns. I've heard of their notorious behavior and treatment of all other species besides themselves on multiple occasions on the 'buzz.

It doesn't end here - just scribe "Sportsman's Paradise Cheeseman Canyon" into Google, and you get a whole slew of negative feedback. An old Denver Post article about hiking trails in the area warns of private property signs and vigorous enforcement and intimidation by said "Sportsman's Paradise" land owners. Several hiking books mention it, and a blog about hiking the fourteeners in the area (I think Lincoln) brings it up as well. Seriously - the only other group that I can think of that is this unpleasant is the Waco Branch Davidians. . .

I know this is a delicate issue and there is currently a careful compromise. Sort of like the M-Wave I suppose, and I'm not at all interested in stirring up any dirt.

Still - I'm itching to find out who these wankers really are. Is it a gated home community, outfitter service, Cheney-loving nudists? Who has the lowdown?

paddlebizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #12
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
I only know from floating through, but it's mostly a gated home community. I'm not sure if they also are a fishing guide/home rental deal or not. I was really suprised how much property it includes - probably a mile of river front property on both sides and maybe 20 some odd houses.

JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #13
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
The hike is brutal. F%^K SP! Float through and they can suck it.
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007   #14
SP made a good faith agreement with boater's in 2002. As of this year they are telling us that they won't uphold that agreement. The sherriff doesn't like us much. The DA supposedly does. They have not been blocking the river. Some fishermen will try to hook you, so be heads up and smile to everyone.

Float in between 9-11 anyday, stay close together, single file, and don't talk/make noise. Many groups have floated through this year with little to no incidents.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007   #15
Amsterdam, Netherlands
if they are seriously trying to hook you with a fishing barb that constitutes assault. a helmet cam catching said action could be a step in our direction. ...and remember... this is a public forum... keep all your comments court presentable.

"I would drag my balls across broken glass just to hear her fart into a walkie talkie" -Jay Drury
tboner is offline   Reply With Quote