Old 12-09-2010   #1
incline village, Nevada
Paddling Since: 2005
speed runs

so i'm a climber but my passion lives with the water...

in Yosemite climbers are climbing the classic routes in record time, some in less that three hours. there is all sorts of coverage in the magazines when a record is broken.

I'm starting to hear rumors of people doing this same kind of thing on some of the longer classic rivers.

some guy named Bo ran westwater through cataract in 24hr in a kayak at 62,000

another guy rowed cataract in 20hr at 32,000

I've heard of people running 100 miles of the Deschutes in a day with kayaks.

i'm wondering if this is starting to go the way of speed climbing?
and if so how many people are out there doing this?

SNCrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Whenever I get to the takeout is always too early...

You're talking about Bo Christensen from Utah that did a lot longer than just Cat in 24. I think he may have even launched at Westwater.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #3
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Not neccesarily easy runs there's an article by Aaron Pruzan in whitewater of southern rockies about running Clarks fork box in one day sweet read
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #4
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I remember hearing about someone 2 seasons ago boating the Ark from Granite to Canon City in 1 day...personally I like to paddle slow, catch eddies, and enjoy the river's features.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #5
Paddling Since: 96
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
I remember hearing about someone 2 seasons ago boating the Ark from Granite to Canon City in 1 day...personally I like to paddle slow, catch eddies, and enjoy the river's features.
Have you got another run in you this season?
Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #6
I can appreciate the longer marathon type runs more when I have the ability to go fast. Although floating on a raft at a leisurely pace is pretty sweet, sometimes I don't have that much time and jumping in a long kayak and going fast downstream is more fun. The long distances are usually the best way for me to enjoy the in-between sections of flatter-water that I usually don't paddle on day stretch type runs. I don't think anyone is viewing it as a competition, and thus a lot of people are out doing it that you don't hear about. For many of us, once you have already caught every eddy and know every corner of a certain section of river, it gets appealing to see how fast you can paddle it. Not as fast as you would in a race... but just the no-eddies healthy pace.
Kyle McCutchen
Cutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #7
Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
I think it is pretty fun to charge a run and redefine how long it takes to do a difficult run. Not something I do all the time but it is cool to turn a half day or full day run into a pre-work mission. A buddy and I also ran the Poudre from Spencer Heights to Bridges in a day a few years ago, really awesome to see the whole canyon in a day. Just a different perspective...

Nothing close to what Ben and Chris did this fall, and I know Tommy H and John G set the bar for the Middle Kings a few years ago with a 24 hour descent. Pure awesomeness...

First Ascent Kayakers Conquer Middle Kings in a Single Day
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #8
Salida, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
"Andy Corra of Durango, Colorado, owner of 4Corners Riversports, has set a new world mark of 273.5 miles (440.15 km) in the 24 hour distance record on moving water. The record is unofficial until verified by Guinness."

Record Breaker Andy Corra - Adventure Kayak, The Sea and Touring Magazine

This shows speed and racing ability.
Philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010   #9
Boulder, Colorado
I'm with cutch on this, for me its not as much about a speed record as it is a marathon of paddling and just a feeling of being dead tired. I saw Chris and Ben about 8 miles into the bottom 9 and paddled with them for a few hours into the garlic falls run, they were definitely in the groove and halling ass. I like doing runs that are a bit easier than the middle kings fast, for me I really like doing a few big south laps and really want to try and get 3 or 4 in a day next year. Some other fun ones are the vertical mile on clear creek which is like 75 miles in a day (bonus for running lower cc by car headlights), you just get so loose that you feel like you can go for days. Some other good marathon runs in CO: black canyon twice in a day=sick ass sufferfest, escalante 5+ times, gore 3-4 times, upper A few times in a day, and of course the illbird loop of NSV (hike in), SSV, USB, LSB, Eldo. Doing runs like this is the best way to train for expeditions, if you train on the list above you wont be tired and can just concentrate on the sick whitewater.
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010   #10
Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Brian Pringle does the Granite to Canon City trip and whoever he can dupe, he calls it the longest day.

eljim is offline   Reply With Quote