Old 03-02-2006   #1
southwest spring trip?

my wife and i are teachers in colorado, and are coming up on our spring break. i drew a permit for the salt with a mar 27th put-in, but just got off the phone with a ranger down there who tells me that you'd be lucky to get a ducky through right now- drought like he's never seen in 22 years.

so we need an alternative...somewhere to hop on for just a couple days- within a days drive of central colorado.

suggestions? reasons??

thanks in advance!

bth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #2
West of Boulder, CO
Paddling Since: 1996
It's not in the southwest, but I hear the Owyhee in SW Idaho is on its way up. Might be a good substitute with about the same drive as the Salt.,00060

dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #3
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Assuming you're in rafts, I can think of two options:

San Juan, Sand Island to Mexican Hat (2 days); Mexican Hat to Clay Hills (3 days) or both. You have to call the BLM for a permit application and the date must be available, but it's worth a shot.

Booze Cruise: Ruby Horse Thief. Ask the BLM about ice.

Also- Cataract Canyon. Not sure if it's clear of ice, but it's flowing fine right now.

As for kayaks, looks like there are a few options already running in Idaho. Keep an eye on the Murtaugh and Milner runs as well.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #4
West of Boulder, CO
Cataract is a great suggestion. Did it in April a few years ago and it was fine. Only drawback is the long, flat stretch at the start (40-50 miles or so). At least its good scenery. Best part is, with Lake Foul so low, you can float all the way to the take out at Hite (or near Hite, these days).
dogalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006   #5
Wydaho, Idaho
NF Payette is running 2000, SF Payette is at 500 (never run the Canyon below 1100). Several hot springs in the area. Looks like weather in Boise is to be in the 50's for the next 10 days, though not sure how much cooler north of there.
dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote