Old 05-04-2006   #1
Southern Paddling

I'm driving to tennessee mid-june and am looking for some good paddling destinations along the way (missouri, arkansas, kentucky, tennessee etc.). class III, IV preferably. any suggestions?

magfaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006   #2
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991

You probably know this but I thought that I might point you to the river tools on American Whitewater page. You can look up rivers my state and then get an idea for flows and what it takes to get the flow.

Have fun,

benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #3
In June you will be totally rain dependent.

The dam controled runs are the Ocoee in TN III+
Big Pigeon in TN III
Green in NC V
Nantahala in NC (only II but worth visiting the NOC once if you're from out west)

*Also, check out the Chattooga in North GA, not dam release but it has a big watershed.
dooleyoc-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #4
In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
Arkansas will likely be dry as a bone, but I'm crossing my fingers for some rain during that general time as well as I will be driving through there in the opposite direction and hanging out with my buddies from home for a few days. If you're a play boater check out to check on flows at their playspot (it's dynamic and very cool) as well as check out the wave at Rockport:

I should arrive in Arkansas around the 16th or 17th so if you're wanting any beta give me a shout on my cell (845)325-1218. Or you can always find out what's going on in Arkansas at or Hope this helps!

kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #5
The Little River in the Smokies is running at a beautiful level... class 2-4+ creek. Absolutely beautiful located about 45 min east of Knoxville, easy hitchhike shuttle, put in at or below the "sinks" which is about 8 miles upstream of the "Y" to be accessed via townsend TN (keep left at the Y and drive until 2nd bridge = sinks) if you need some SE contacts and flowbeta, go to likely to be paddlers at the Little
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006   #6
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Chattooga is the quintessential SE wilderness river, can't be beat. Check the Cheoah schedule too. If it is raining, check out the Chauga or Tellico.

If you're up for the stronger end of the III/IV range, the Watauga is absolutely not to be missed. It is solid IV with some easy walks on the Vs if you don't want that. The moves are classic east coast boofs all over the place, about 500 of them, or that's how it feels. Stateline Falls is good times if you are up to it.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006   #7
In TN, check on Tellico (if raining) and the Nolichucky, usually runs some during the summer. Chattooga in E. GA will usually run most of the summer, although not dam controlled. Cheoha and the Green are good choices also. Best bet is hope for rain.

dlcrow is offline   Reply With Quote