Old 04-22-2006   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1492
Southern Idaho is CRANKING

For you western CO boaters, the Milner / Murtaugh sections of the Snake are pumping, for the first time in 9 years!!! Running 19,000cfs as of Friday 4/21 and slated to stay there for a couple weeks. Well worth the drive (3 1/2 hours from SLC). Big water Class III - IV on the Murtaugh, very pushy V+ on the Milner Mile. The "Bad Malad" is cranking, too (30 miles west of Twin Falls, ID), and Jarbidge/Bruneau is running at great levels, as is the Owyhee. We ran the Murtaugh last weekend at 12,000 and the Malad at ~3000. There are also rumors the Black Canyon of the Bear near Grace, ID will spill this year, too, a IV-V run that doesn't see water very often. Weather over that way can be really pleasant this time of year, if you can stomach the drive........

WyoPadlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #2
I'm planning a Bruneau Jarbridge for May 23 Think the water will hold out?

Old Fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006   #3
Jackson, Wyoming
Jarbidge / Bruneau trips

It's a big snow year for the Jarbidge headwaters. May 23 is usually too late, but could be ok this year. We did Jarbidge/Bruneau last year early May, at 2100 on Bruneau gage. Always a fun trip. West Fork Bruneau/Bruneau is a little more action, but camping up on Jarbidge is better. Hope you get to do it. What exactly classifies an "Old Fart" anyway?
Old 04-24-2006   #4
Pueblo, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
If you want to go, I will carpool

I love the murtaugh. I will drive with anyone interested in going. Big water class IV. This river ranks almost as high as the lochsa, but with warmer water.

I just came into a bunch of time, now that my classes are all done.

Give me a call 303-870-6297

Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #5
Boise, Idaho
Everything is pretty much running full on up here. The NF has 3500 out of the dam. 5000 or so from Smith's Ferry to Banks. If anyone wants some huge shit it's all you can eat up there right now.
ID Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #6
Jackson, Wyoming
NF Payette @ 5000

Are you guys paddling top-to-bottoms at 5K? I've only ever done the bottom 7 (from the "Back Nine" lower Golf Course) down at those levels, and it was waaaaaayyyyyy toooooo much FUN (FUN = F#$@ing Unreal Nuttiness). I was all over the place in Screaming Left, and Jaws I was a blur as I was blinded through most of it.
Hey, "Krynn," are you the guy whose brother bought my Gus a couple years ago? That would be the boat for the North Fork at 5K.......
Old 04-24-2006   #7
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Slightly off topic but---Does anyone know where I can find gauges for the Middle Fork of the Salmon (and the Main)? Thanks.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #8
About the Bruneau

We're heading up there in two weeks and I've got a question about the level. The BLM river guide indicates that the river should not be run above 2500CFS, are they over cautious or do some seriously bad hydrolics develop above this threshold? In addition, what do you have to say about 'five mile rapids', are they pool drop or continious?

crestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #9
I did the bruneau at 2200 once. Five mile really is continuous class IV for five miles. I know some ID boaters did it last year at over 5K. I think much over 2500 you'd want to be solid because flips/swims would be a drag. If you're a class IV-V boater you'll love it at high flows.
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #10
Father of illegitimate San Juan sasquatch children, Climax. CO
We have a crew leaving may 4th for owy/jar/bruneau couple week combo. If you guys are interested in or need logistics help, let me know,

floaty22 is offline   Reply With Quote