Old 05-20-2004   #1
Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979
Southern Colorado II-III's

Never paddled south of the Roaring Fork or Arkansas, and I am heading that way with my wife who is a II+ paddler in 2 weeks. Any advice on fun, easy, scenic runs? I am thinking specifically of the Lower Taylor, Lake Fork Box, San Juan Mesa Canyon and perhaps something on the San Miguel or the Chama day run. Any advice or other suggeststions much appreciated.

crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004   #2
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Mesa canyon is fun but I heard that the landowner put in more weirs this winter so it may have gotten more difficult
Chama day run would be another good one but is a pretty far drive
The Animas town run is always fun
A friend of mine did the Piedra from 160 to the reservoir in a canoe and said it was fun
Maybe Bluff to Mex on the San Juan if you want an overnight and can get on a permit
Dominguez canyon on the Gunnie would be another overnight that is not permitted
The upper Dolores has a good surf section
I dont know anything about the San Miguel but thats another option
have fun

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have heard that the Ute Mountain run on the Rio Grande is very scenic and Class II.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004   #4
Upper Taylor is faily easy technical class 3. Pretty fun but lots of rocks and quick moves.

Lower Taylor is nice scenic very shallow. Scraping bottom most of the time.

The Gunnison town run is great. Very easy. Some good play. Scenic. Easy shuttle. Go from Almont to McCabes for a 4 hour trip if you want. Or from North Bridge (Across from Garlic Mike's about one mile north of town on 135) to the white water park for 1 1/2 hour trip or on to McCabe's Lane for 2 1/2 hour trip. Or just hang at the Whitewater park for some great fun.

Or ty the San Miguel near Telluride for as long a trip as you want. All class 2 and easy 3.
81230rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004   #5
Crispy....que pasa amigo??
How is your new creek boat working out?
I am sure you will be hittin all the good runs this year...USB looks like it is pumpin already.
Costa is great...I can't believe I have been down here 9 months...I need to go kayakin more. I can't get away from my new thing...surfing!! I love it more every day.
Gettin hitched in June and working a lot on my land...when it is not raining. Hopefully, you and Claude can get down here in the next couple years to hit some of this "big water" aqui.
Once I get my CFS down here, there are a number of creeks in the S Pacific that I want to get on...
I hope that you guys are havin a good season there...I miss daily runs on SSV.
REPRESENT young Jedi.....
(I am using Josh's log in name....I have not written MB is a long time and can't find mine...his was on my E mail for some reason.)
JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004   #6
Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
The Mesa Canyon run is easy II+. The one class III rock garden just below the lunch spot has no rocks now. They moved them out to use for more [Restoration?] work. The biggest man-made drop is up stream of a private bridge after you leave the town area. At 1700cfs or more it might be a keeper hole if you don't square up .
Hope the runoff holds a few more weeks.

superpuma is offline   Reply With Quote