Old 08-16-2009   #1
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 89
Southcove Salsa

The wave below Iceberg Canyon is great for any folks heading to Southcove on their Grand Canyon Trip. This wave is approximately10 miles+ passed Pierce Ferry. After the big right turn at the end of Iceberg Canyon. does a great cheap shuttle from Lee's to Southcove for the ridiculous price of $215? Great folks.

High water starts there somewhere past midnight. I'm sure someone has a chart somewhere to be more exact. We found it best(10K cfs) for the surfboards from noon to dark, although you could surf anytime. R Left Eddy blows out a little at high water. Giant at lowwater. River right eddy is giant as well. Two creek runs on either side of the wave. I'd look before I leaped, but I get spanked in a bathtub

The jets boats coming up and commercial traffic(Hatch, ARR, Crate, Hualis) going down can't see you on the wave. Most of them are hauling ass and they don't respond to distress signals, death signs, nothing so have a guy planned to give the surfers, kayakers, river boards etc a heads up! The Hualis hit the wave 4-5 pm. They are especially fast and respectfully dangerous because sometimes their running twin 40's and they can't be heard over the roar of the rapid. They definitely don't respond to signals. No one did. I suspect the jet boats would if we would have thrown them one because of all the power they have but I wouldn't trust anyone.

1-2 Jet boats come upstream daily at 9 and 10am and return at noon. They are hauling but they are very loud so it gives you a strange piece of mind. They also must slow way down to hit the wave(whiplash), so they have time to see you and throttle back, but I wouldn't want to test it. This nick point is going to be tuff for them soon.

Hope to see you there,

Brady Black
Moenkopi Riverworks
928 856 0012
moetown is offline   Reply With Quote