south platte wth? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-10-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
south platte wth?

Anybody have a feel for if or when we'll get some water through town?.... been boatin' this for years flows don't seem to have any rhyme or reason. .... the reservoirs are full don't farmers need water by now?....some rain but not huge, yet still paltry releases.....POS car and high gas prices not conducive to roaming the region. ...this year just boat what you can and save for a trip I guess....nice if convenient stuff ran...not big fan of golden play park, overcrowded okay sometimes, liked old bleacher hole and LIbrary...anybody else think drought will end with flash floods in July or August?

cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #2

Denver, Colorado
Gannon see you on here, guess we will be doing a lot of your type of wet rock runs..I don 't mind mank ...should be some record low runs
Old 05-10-2012   #3

Mountains on the river!!!, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2002
Bailey, Foxton, Waterton, Deckers, 11mile, gore. Those are your best bets on having water this season. Lower platte, its all diverted elsewhere, or is coming in from boulder, poudre, Big T, stuff like that, but in tunnels, not the river.
ski_kayak365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #4

Denver, Colorado
True, but under what circumstances will they relase out of. Chatfield ? Don't we usually have some runnable days on Union by now? Seems like it usually runs 4th of July weekend for some reason.Someone claimed some correlation to Waterton running 1000...not so sure about that being necessary but if Waterton cranks they usually will.release
Old 05-10-2012   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
I don't wonder that they'll release only the absolute minimum this year. Is Strontia even full after the dredging operation? I can imagine they'd buffer that up a bit as best they can.
Old 05-10-2012   #6

Indian Hills, Colorado
In general, they release out of Chatfield at high rates under the following circumstances: when the big upper reservoirs are full (Cheeseman, Antero, etc) and there is good snowmelt (not this year) or when there is high flow on Plum Creek into Chatfield due to a big front range storm (not yet this year). ...in general. And yes, the waterton correlation is sound more often than not.

For what it's worth, Strontia is just a little forebay reservoir and has little to do with operations except on a day-to-day basis.

I too have my fingers crossed. 1400 and up at Union is a hoot.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote