Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 03-30-2007   #11
3.30.07 Update

I would have to agree that given the opportunity, every man woman and child would be better off for having eaten cake....so cake for dessert at the BBQ?

Well thus far the responses have been awesome. We already have at least 40 people officially registered and more being added each time I check my inbox.

TIMES: We plan to meet at Union Chutes at 10am and hope to be on the water by noon. The float should take anywhere from 3-5 hours depending on flows and rubbish in the river landing us at confluence by 5pm and ready to get our BBQ on.

VOZ has contacted me and is sending along some giveaways along with a sneak peak at their new helmet. I can't wait to see them!

Dagger has also expressed interest in joining us and everyone knows Hobie never comes to the party empty handed.

I've also heard from several other brands including Level 6, Ruffwear, Salamander, and Cliff Bar all of whom want to contribute what they can, and I will provide updates as they come in.

Please be sure to register on the events page:
River Clean Up Registration

Or call DRE (303)467-2144 or Confluence Kayaks (303)433-3676 for more information.

twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007   #12
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
good we are going to need those helmets to keep track of people! There are many unknown dangers on the south platte! Rabid bums, storm grates, low head dams, really big carp, inner city kids, and Don Dowling!!! AKA They call me double D, soon to be aka the trash compactor!

"Ain't a single rock in this river that can stop us!" Slug
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007   #13
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990
S. Platte

I'll be there rockin the Shredder. All Black Attack. Looking for some surf action.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007   #14
4.5 Update

Well the good news keeps coming in. Along with more PFD's, paddles, and a few boats from the Johnson Outdoor Group out of the Denver Area; I've also recieved word from Waste Management of Denver that they are going to donate their services and help us with roll off dumpsters and recylcling bins for both the clean up and the BBQ.

As well, they have invted us to utilize their parking at their Union offices day of so there should be plenty of room.

I also just recieved the first T-shirts hot off the press from VOZ for the event and they're pretty sick. Only one way to get one....
Old 04-05-2007   #15
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
cool beans

Don, anyone....

There's a big tree that needs to come out of the drop at Florida Ave.... Ideas?
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #16
4.12.07 Update

A few updates here for you:

1. Nathan Fay, Colorado Stewardship Director for American Whitewater, will be on hand joining us on the river providing an opportunity for you to hear about AW's plans for 2007 and to share your thoughts with him in a relaxed and informal environment. AW is making a strong stand here in Colorado and we greatly appreciate Nathan volunteering with us here in Denver.

2. Tired of surfing the web looking for a sneak preview? Want to see the real deal? Want a chance to win one of the first copies of Whitewater of the Southern Rockies - THE NEW TESTAMENT? We'll have both a copy for you to preview AND a chance to win one of the first copies upon their arrival.

We will have snacks available for on the river courtesy of Clif Bar, but please remember to bring some water for yourselves for the time on the river. We will have refreshments available at Confluence Park when we arrive there.

I'd also reccomend considering NOT paddling your kayak for this event. Much of the trash and debris are on the shore or in the willows and will necessitate being mobile. We hope to have plenty of rubber for people to ride in but if you have some of your own, bring it.

Thanks again to all who are contributing to this event including Down River Equipment, Confluence Kayaks, Danny Andres from Johnson Outdoors, Brian Felse with Salamander & LevelSix, Waste Management of Denver, Kristen Downs of Clif Bar, Solly and VOZ Sports, and of course Randy from DRE for all of his assistance in making this happen. We are expecting quite the turnout and have been blown away by the support and level of commitment from the boating and non-boating community.

Thanks and we hope to be able to update you with shuttle details (we're working on a bus) shortly.
Old 04-12-2007   #17
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I probably missed this somewhere, but if I bring my raft, will I need to bring bags or containers or something for puncture protection?
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007   #18

Very good question. We plan to have a supply of trash bags available to you, but I also would reccomend mesh bags if you have them to allow for drainage as you make your way down the river. I'm bringing about a dozen of my own along.
Old 04-14-2007   #19
Lakewood, Colorado

I am tying to cut out some wood floors for a couple of our boats, to protect them. Most of the boats will just have bags of garbage in them, and I don;t think it will be a problem. There are some shopping carts, and pallets, and strange items like that in the river. Hopefully we can fit that stuff in the modified boats. Remember, you are the captain of your boat, if you think something is going to damage it, don't let it onboard. I am also going to put a rubbermaid bucket in each of my boats to put smaller sharp items in that could tear through the garbage bags.

woodboat75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007   #20
4.18 update

Just a reminder and some quick updates about the river clean up which is now only 4 days away.

1. We've got a shuttle bus....no not bunny, bus. Our friends at Outward Bound will be bringing a 20 person bus and providing shuttle service from Union to City of Cuernavaca Park. It's located all the way down Platte St - the same street Confluence Kayaks is on - past 20th street, where you will find ample parking. This is where we would like to reccomend parking for the event, though if you wish to park closer to Confluence Park you are welcome to as that is where we will be having the BBQ afterwards. Regardless the bus will leave from City of Cuernavaca Park at 10:15am, 11:00am, and 11:45am headed back to Union. If you wish to leave your vehicle at the put in, we ask that you use the parking facilities at Waste Management, directly across from Brent Mayne Field.

2. The GIANT tree at Florida is gone thanks to the hard work of the guys at DRE and a few others who chipped in.

3. I must revise my prior statement. If you have both a kayak and a raft, I would reccoment bringing both for this adventure. Rafts will be easier to work out of, can transport extra people, and also can haul more trash. However, it's looking like we will need all of the equipment we can drum up, so if you have an extra ducky, pfd, or paddle, please be sure to bring it along if possible.

4. The giveways for the raffle keep arriving at my house and one company based in Fort Collins has made a very generous contribution of liquid refreshment to keep us all cool from the heat.

5. We all need to sign a waiver Denver Parks and Rec has lent their support to this effort and as such, we will need to fill out a quick waiver for them when you arrive. Registration is from 10am to noon at Union. This is also your entry into the raffle and a way to show our commitment to this cause so please do sign up.

6. This IS an opportunity for you to sign up and support AW! Nathan will be bringing registration forms as well as information on ways you can help, so please take advantage of this opportunity.

We still hope to be on the river by noon. Please don't forget your own water to keep you from getting dehydrated on the river...I said liquid refreshment earlier, not hydration.