Old 03-20-2007   #1
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
South Platte Park - C470 Access Closed

Due to whatever.... The gravel company got South Suburban Parks & Recreation to seal off access to the C470 entrance for South Platte Park until June 1st or later. Apparently the gravel company said they needed a place to turn around and park their trucks.

I really do not see why they have to block off access, especially for the number of people who use this entrance to cycle, walk, paddle, etc.

You now can only access it from the North at Mineral or go pay $6.00 to Colorado at Chatfield State Park and access it from the Dog Park below the dam. Which sucks because Chatfield USACE is releasing now.

If you want to voice your opinion to SSPR, you can call them at: 303-798-5131 or email them at:

And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #2
They are building a lake over there but not sure just why they have to seal off that road during the construction phase. Looks to me like they are going to have a place to put extra water from Chatfield if it ever overflows. Pretty lame to block off that road especially when the water is there. Some good play in that section.

Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007   #3
I was told last fall that this would happen.
The South Suburban and the people building the res are mostly worried about the traffic issues with the big trucks.

But if they had their way this gate would be permently closed due to all the people that cant read the parking signs and the people using the Chatfeild State Park and not paying to get in (bikers and dog park) plus they are tired of the people NOT picking up the crap their dogs leave while they are sneeking in to the park. Not to mention the car break ins.

Bums me out I boat there all the time. I talked to them about just closing the riverside parking and leaving the outer parking open and they were consedering that also.
"I just stood there and watched the whole thing happen!!!"
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #4
Guess I'll take my rookies somewhere else, like down to Mineral to put in. Got this response...

Thank you for your recent inquiry. The District recognizes your frustration in not being able to access the South Platte River from the entry road between C-470 and the south end of South Platte Park.

You may not be aware that two construction projects are currently underway in that area. The Roxborough Sewer Line and the Centennial Water and Sanitationís South Platte Reservoir projects both need to utilize the entry road from C-470. Because of the safety concern with construction trucks and heavy equipment, the entry gate has been closed to the public until construction equipment access and the staging area are no longer required in the current location. We anticipate that the entry gate will be reopened to the public by early summer.

In the interim, you may access the river from the parking lot at the Carson Nature Center.

We apologize for any inconvenience that these two community improvement projects may be temporarily causing.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #5
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I've always wanted to go back and boat this since it's where I was on a "river" for the very first time. I don't know the area around it though.

Can someone either PM me or post here how I would get to that start location now if I were coming from C470 west-bound?
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote

access, ark