Old 06-30-2011   #1
Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
South Platte in Denver

Some friends of mine are planning on putting their rec. kayaks in the river at C470. Any issues I should pass on to them. Low head dams or other obstacles? I'm not sure how far north they are planning to go. They normally just float lakes.

Karma is like this: If we set causes in motion the effects come back to us.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #2
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
There are some drop structures along the way, the water will probably be very swift and powerful compared to what they're accustomed to. Also, if they go to Union, they'll likely get chundered in the Union Chutes. If they continue to Confluence Park, the low head dam at the Zuni power plant could be fatal if not portaged. Things may get stinky below the Englewood Wastewater Treatment Plant outfall.

The scenery and wildlife along the reach between C-470 and Union are surprisingly pleasant for urban boating. I'm not familiar with the rest of the trip from Union to Confluence but have done fieldwork by the Zuni dam.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #3
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
There's a small chute structure about 1/2 mile downstream of C470, another slightly larger one just upstream of Mineral Ave, and two double drop chutes before Bowles. Depending on water levels and paddling skills people new to moving water might tip over in the bigger chutes. Especially if they are wearing skirts, they should consider helmets for those drops.
kerry edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011   #4
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Ummm you forgot Florida Ave, that can be wicked at lower levels and is a steep 15 foot slide drop with sharps rocks. Also, just past the fountain bridge where Denver & Water Sewer offices are, a triple slide drop that gets manky at the middle through to the bottom. Hope they like swimming and emptying water.
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote