Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-29-2012   #1
Greenville, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2000
South East Boater in Colorado for a few days, looking to boat

On a road trip out west from South Carolina to CO, brought my creek boat and was hoping to get on some whitewater. Back east I typically boat class IV to IV+, some favorite runs are Chattooga Section IV, Upper Gauley, Green River Narrows without the big 3, and Overflow Creek. Any suggestions on rivers to paddle, easy ways to meet up with people, or is anyone paddling over the next few days who wouldn't mind me tagging along? Fairly flexible on days and locations, currently in Denver, probably camping around Grand Lake tomorrow night, leaving CO to head back home sometime Sunday. Send me a text or leave me a voice mail at 864 706 8033 or send me an email at jowensb@g.clemson.edu.

EOwensby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Paddling options are limited. Best class IV/IV+ close to denver right now is the bailey run. Its colorado class IV (read much more continuous and faster than SE class IV) with 2 V- and one V you can scout or walk. Most bailey veterans don't want to scout all the class IV, so you need to be able to read n run class IV+ on verbals from an eddy above to join most crews.

The numbers on the arkansas are fun... mostly class III, but a spice of IV in there. Lots of paddlers up on the ark.

Clear creek just outside of denver is closed during the week, but opens up friday, sat, sun. Flows are about minimum right now, but are still fun. There are a couple of class IV sections, and one V- section (blackrock) that has lots of class IV with a couple V-'s and a V.

If you are in grand lake, gore canyon is at minimum flows and you might get some of the locals to run it with you. Its mostly class IV, with a couple IV+ drops and two V- drops you can scout or walk.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012   #3
Greenville, South Carolina
Paddling Since: 2000
Thanks for the reply

Based on talking to some locals The Numbers and Gore Canyon are on my radar if I can find some people to show me down. Thanks again for replying.

Eric O.
EOwensby is offline   Reply With Quote