Paddling Since: 1995
you'll need more time.
3 months just to panama.
then south america is even longer

onefatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #12
Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
If you make it that far, Colombia is the shit! Went there in May and it was awesome, we were there for a month and thought it wasn't long enough.... Same for Peru the year before and Ecuador is awesome! You are going to have a great time, I am so jealous

jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #13
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Where in Colombia were you? Did you drive on the highways between cities? I've spent a lot of time in Bogota and felt safe enough, but never really got a chance to explore the countryside.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008   #14
Yes, please tell us more about your experiences in Colombia.

Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #15
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Ditto what everyone else says, more time, roads get rougher and more scarce further south. Tickets to Antartica are $$$$$. My cousin goes down and backpacks throughout Columbia for a couple months at a time, has nothin but good things to say as well.

Your opinion doesn't matter when you're already biased.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #16
Steamboat, Colorado!
Paddling Since: 2005
Colombia was great, went on a recommendation from a friend and found it pretty safe and well worth spending a while there...We flew into Bogota, then went to Villa de Leyva, San Gil for a bit of rafting... wish we would have spent more time there.... then went to a small town outside of Santa Marta called Taganga.... hung out there for a long time, pretty crazy party scene there, then did the Lost City hike for 5 days, by far the best part of the trip minus the bugs and then to Cartegena and Medellin. Nightlife was nuts in Medellin, if we did it over again I think we would have spent just a weekend there and instead headed South to the Zona Cafetera. We heard of people getting robbed or screwed over by the police but we had zero problems.
Found it a tad expensive, and did not do any driving... the busses were crazy enough
Also you might want to ditch the car in Panama and take a cruise to Colombia and then do the bus thing, just a thought
jen84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #17
Thanks Jen, I can't wait. We really appreciate the thoughts and experiences everyone, keep them coming.

I hear you guys about the time, we'll just have to see how things go....I personally don't have to be back at any particular time, or have too many particular goals for the trip.
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008   #18
Fort Collins, Colorado

when will you be in Costa Rica. I am going to be down there in Jan for 20 days trying to do some boating. We would be interested in boating with others if you are down there.
teleboater5.13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #19
Park City, Utah
Have SO much fun! I am jealous! We drove from Colorado to Costa Rica in '99 and it was great. That was so long ago that I don't really think I have any info that could help. But feel free to contact me if any questions.
alisongodlewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008   #20
Eldorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
road trippin south

My wife and I worked in Honduras (Roatan) as dive masters for a bit back in 2000 and met a couple who were driving from New York down to Argentina. They ended up having severe car problems in Honduras (San Pedro de Sula) and had to get 3 weeks worth of work done. We saw about 6 teenage boys driving around in their car before we met them, and mentioned it to them but they didn't believe us. So beware of the mechanics and perhaps offer them a "rush" incentive, otherwise they may just take their sweet time and milk you for what they can get. If you do get stuck in Honduras, high tail it to Roatan and do some cheap diving. Also, be careful in Lake Atitlan in Guatemala region another tourist petty crime trap. Finally seems that the border between Costa Rica and Panama was down right scary when I was there and I got mugged in San Jose Costa Rica and Livingston Guatemala, so have some constant "ditch" money on hand. I wouldn't worry too much about getting ripped off, it will happen its just how you can minimize the impact and pacify the bad guys. Also, I agree with everyone else that you should really think about the distance covered. Finally, Nicaragua and Venezuela were my favorites. If you get sick of your friends take a short quick trip to Cuba, its so fun, hot and a little sleezy.

jaansdornea is offline   Reply With Quote