Old 05-11-2004   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Source: good to go? almost

A group of us ran the source this evening. We hiked it first and pulled out a few poorly placed logs. The run was bony but still really fun. The beavers have been busy, but their dams are not detrimental to normal lines.

The gauge I installed near the takeout bridge read 4 inches. 9" is much bettter. The 8:15 reading was 190, which is just before we took out. This run really begs to be done right at dusk, for optimal water.

There is more wood in there that will shift as levels rise. I won't tell you I always walk this run before doing it, but it is a good idea to do so.

Tomorrow should be OK, but a cold front might shut it down quickly.

Have fun , be safe, Dave

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Looks good for tonight

I was on the trip with Dave - great to get back on the Sauce. Looks like tonight wil be good to go. Last night's run was a little bony but still very fast and fun. Looks like the flow was about 200cfs on the gauge last night when we got off the crick (@ 8:30), and I would guess that could be used as a good benchmark for minimum flow for this year. It could be bounced down lower, but the boat abuse is already high in there and all of us had a pin at one point or another (nothing too serious). A hard piton tore my bolts through the side of my micro last night

Get up there with enough time to scope out the run- there are a few logs here and there that are nice to be aware of ahead of time. Start around 7pm and you'll catch plenty of light for boating safely and the max volume of water. The run is very fast; if you're boating with more than 3 boaters & it will be difficult to find an eddy where everyone can stop. Most of the wood that's in there will be covered with more water (unless new stuff flushes down), so be aware of hidden snags. There is one log about 75 yards above Slot Machine that may be sketchy when the water comes up- it's just below a drop and conceivably one could resurface from the hole underneath the log at higher flows. SCOUT.

I'd guess that the Upper Source run will be good to go when the level gets closer to 250-300. We put in right above Slot due to the time it took to scout and remove some lumber, so we put in around 7:45.

Overall- a kick in the ass.

If it gets cold and drops off, it would be a good idea to head up and do some cleaning. Anyone?

El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004   #3
Filmmaker, Colorado
keep us posted if you're going up there to clean it out. I'd be happy to lend a hand.

brandf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004   #4
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
We were up there today and I wanted to add that there are a couple of logs above Slot that people need to be heads up on. One comes early and without eddies during the easy stuff below the first slide. There is a move to the right, but one of us got pinned trying it and a super narrow sketchy slot just to the left of the log (in the middle of the river) was good to go. You'll probably miss this on your scout because it's in the willows. The other one is after a twisting slide toward the beginning and it blocks the exit to the slide. We both ducked hard and scraped under it. It is easily seen from the scout and could be removed with a small saw, but we had neither saw or daylight. Fun boney run - we also had multiple pins
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote