Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-27-2007   #21
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
nice one shawn .. go piss on the electric (dog) fence.

Originally Posted by Hartje
this eden of pool-drop boating in a moderate, maritime climate, with an abundance of fishy, wholesome foods.
can i get an amen???

it's funny that TG doesn't ever talk up all the frozen drysuit action, ice-slicked logjam portages, and all the other miserably cold & woody things I hear about boating "year-round" in that part of the world.
1. i don't even own a drysuit ... um, yet.
2. that frozen kayaking shit's for kids like boomer & austin & bechtel. sensible people don't boat when the conditions are like that. they go shred the frozen rad instead (which is also really great out here too). take today for instance. i have my front door wide open, sun's blazin', creeks are running. i should be whitewater paddleboating, but here's the thing: there's no one to paddle with. my crew is out on the peninsula surfing a nice swell & drinking on the beach this wkend (you can't do that in aurora). i shit you not, there are more kayakers in boulder than there are in the whole state of WA. you NEVER see cars loaded with boats in seattle & when you do, it's a freakout inducing occurance. the kayaking here is even better than everyone talks about, but there are no kayakers here -- that's why we're always recruting. we need friends! we had Marko bought-in for about a minute-&-a-half. showed him one of the "easy" local creeks for his intro to NW winter boating & i don't think it was his cuppa tea. he left for home shortly thereafter.

anyway, the original poster has a website called "a wet state", & i'm just sayin' that if you're really that cuckoo for kayaking, CO is a really tuff place to stick it out for 12 mos a year. other than that, it rules & i miss it from time to time.

hartje, just like everyone else who moved to the bay area, you don't even kayak anymore anyway. surf kayaking doesn't count you want we should do a long weekend of little white little white next month? bring graham with you. call a brotha.

ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #22

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful info. It is definitely clearing up what jobs i am going to try for. Thanks again.

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #23
Touché Gillman.

surf kayaking doesn't count you want we should do a long weekend of little white little white next month?
Me want. Can I keep my fins in for that?

Yesterday, after surf kayaking, three of us discussed taking a ww roadtrip to CO this June if CA continues to be a dry state. One said, naw roadtrip to BC. I said wait till August. I can taste the Big South already... or maybe it's the storied beer of Fort Collins I'm remembering. I get them confused sometimes.
Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #24
Seems people who enjoy Colorado the most are Multi sport. I got out 170 days last year only about 50 were boating. And some of those boating days were road tripping. I am a family guy that lives down in the high tech area. A lot of managers from Martin live in my hood. They got the new shuttle and will be adding about 400 white collar jobs in the next 2 years.

Great place to live but if year round boating is your main desire it might not be best for you. Live on the west side for life style. I would not work or live near Aurora. Springs is just to far for afterwork boating. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #25
pnw, Washington
The really good news in the springs is we have Pueblo 45 minutes away and its a fun park. It has improved our situation no doubt. I guess what I really wanted to say was that unless you are very religious I wouldnt recommend a single man move to the retirement home that Colo Spgs has become.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007   #26
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
so every monday the crew out here recaps the weekend's activities via email. this is what's come thru so far today ... or ...

why the NW effin rulz! (even when conditions aren't *perfect*)

Experienced the frozen rad in all too true form on Sat. Another attempt at Red Mt. was turned back just short of the summit as the conditions were a thick and solid sun/wind/ice crust. No ice axes so we turned down. A fair amount of wind kept things locked up in high elevations, but once we dropped 500 ft or so, it turned to sweet creamy corn. But then the exit through Commonwealth Basin made Todd and Schertl's mission feel like powder turns. Fun and interesting to say the least. Sure was pretty!
Kendall Mt/Ridge was pretty sweet ... with some good corn from pretty much top to bottom. If you skin to the ridge and all the way back down to the flats its not a bad run - about 1000 feet give or take and about a 40 min skin back up.

I am off to Whistler this weekend in hopes of more sun and just enough melt-off to ski some good slush and then kayak Box Canyon.
Skinned up to the rim/summit of St. Helens on Saturday to similar ice/wind/corn conditions, but at least it was sunny and we had a few turns that didn't sound like fingernails on a chalkboard.. The terrain there kicked ass for huge mach 9 turns all the way down.. as for the natural halfpipes towards the base?? Killer.

Rivers were pretty low down here, so on Sunday two of us got on the Lower Wind for some sweet class III/IV+ (exactly what the doctor ordered for me). That run is seriously underrated (especially the last 1/2 mile that includes Shearer's Falls and a sweet riverside hotspring).
Rode Critical Mass and chased ho's on friday. Climbed at the gym on saturday. And went for a gloriously sun-drenched long-ass ride yesterday.
Waves were good, weather was outstanding. We hung out in t-shirts during the day on the beaches.

Got skunked for surf on Sat. After some looking around, and finding mostly ginormous beach-break, we did a hike (2 mi each way) to Shi Shi beach, only to have things too big for our tastes there as well. Missed our window at that point. Did some exploring & learned a thing or two.

Sunday at Hobuck Beach with fun waves and a good solid session.

I'll likely look to surf again this coming weekend, or maybe jump down to The Gorge to try and chase anything resembling fun whitewater. If the snow gets Spring-like, I'd be aight widdat. Did I hear someone mention Whistler?

St Helens looks sic, but I hear she's hard to catch with good snow quality. Still...good work on the rim job.
multi sporting?

nuff said.
Old 02-01-2007   #27
out of seattle, portland, and eugene which would be the best place to live for boating and skiing with an emphasis on boating
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #28
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Out of those three, I'd have to go with Bellingham.

Eugene. I've only been there once & didn't care for it. It's kind of a dirty college town, foggy valley scene. Playboating's good when it's wet. Closer to California. Dries out in Summer = long drives. For shred, I think you can get to Bachelor w/i a couple hours.

Portland. IMO, the best city in the country for all-around livin'. Great food/beer/coffee/music/arts. The Max (train) rules. Excellent boating community with quick & easy access to the Gorge (WS, LW, Trout, Wind, Hood, etc.) & pretty easy to get to the Lower Peninsula stuff (Jefferson) & downstate WA stuff (Clear Fork, Ohanne). Dries out in summer. For shred, you got Hood, which ain't all that great terrain-wise. Closest to the beach.

Seattle. Big city scene, but with awesome little neighborhoods all over the place. Really expensive. Great food/beer/coffee/music/arts. Traffic sux, but if you know when/where to avoid (or just ride a bike) it's not bad. Lot's of boating w/i an hour (ernies, robe, sky drainage), but the playboating sux here. Closer to BC for late summer, closer to Van Island for spring, closer to peninsula. Boating community is weak. For shred, it's pretty damn good -- Baker's w/i striking distance for a (long) day trip, Stevens, Alpental, Crystal. All are better than Hood. Can do weekend Whistler trips pretty easy from Seattle, not so much from PDX ..

for what it's worth, this is an ongoing battle for me. I love PDX & could easily see myself living down there at any time .. but i'd be giving up the quick out to BC. Bellingham is practically on the border, super close to Baker, great after-work summer boating, on the water, you can see Van Is., affordable, scenic, blah blah blah ... Hope that helps.