Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-26-2007   #11
Leadvillian, Colorado
CO. is more ideal for the guy or gal that wants to paddle during the summer, ride a bike or run in the fall, and ski during the winter and spring... it's a pretty tough place if you're real into paddling. The season is 3-4 months.

That aerospace company from Todd's link looks like they could use a little help... maximum altitude from first flight 285 feet, only 75k more to go. The landing on those little legs was pretty amazing though.

Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #12
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I don't know exactly how many days you can get in and I really don't understand this "boating only on weekends" business, but the runoff lasts about 2 months. Typically Mid-May to Mid-July. The boating season can be much longer if you take advantage of the dam release runs. You can usually paddle either Gore or Bailey April through November. Can be a bit chilly though in the early and late season.

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #13
hey, also curious about boulder CO,

and the boating on the weekends things come from the ability in CA to go every weekend, year around, guess it sounds like out there, like when it runs you make it happen?

thanks again for the feedback. Thanks.

Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #14
pnw, Washington
Boulder is a fun town. Takes tons o money to live there though. Its about as far to the left as Colo Spgs is to the right.
"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #15
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
front range CO is just like Sacramento but with 1/3 of the ww season, no Cali granite, no Cali multiday trips & no ocean.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #16
Indian Hills, Colorado
Consider living in Conifer or Green Mountain.

Conifer/Aspen Park/Indian Hills (or any where off 285): 30 minutes to Bailey (or less)
20 minutes to Waterton Canyon (OK, it's a 1 mile boat down and hike out, but it runs all year and is fun III+ IV-)
2 hours to Buena Vista, where you'll spend your weekends no doubt
You like shoveling snow, right?
45 minutes to downtown.

Green Mountain:
Add 20 minutes to all times above, except downtown, which is 20 min closer.
Less snow.

Arkansas runs at a worth-it level through Aug 15th most years.

Boulder is expensive and, in my humble opinion, much more conservative than Denver proper.
DanOrion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #17
For the ultra-hardcore (i.e. TG) the front range is a little weak. The season is kinda short and there is definitely nothing that compares to shit like South Silver.

Having said that, Colorado (and the NW) have way more options than cali for good after-work whitewater. I was in Boulder all summer and was able to frequently skip out of work at 4 PM, get a good lap in on SSV, Clear Creek, Source, Eldo etc and be home in time for dinner.
The boating community is awesome and you might actually discover some other sports here as well.

If kayaking is your #1 priority go to Seattle, Portland or Asheville.
doublet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #18
Highlands Ranch, CO Paddling Since: 1993
Well if you want the after work sessions like said before the denver area preferably lakewood, arvada, golden will do it. A couple summers ago I think I logged in about 30 after work runs and was home for dinner before dark.

If you want to stay in Cali I have a very good friend who is a boater and happens to be a headhunter, he might be able to find you a gig, pm me if you want his contact info.

And I wholeheartedly agree DO NOT LIVE IN AURORA it is trully a shit hole.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #19
Do you REALLY want to move to an arid climate to boat?

Colorado's exponential growth, much of it from Californians moving here, isn't expected to let up soon. You may want to reconsider coming to an arid climate for boating - in a few years there may not much water in the rivers because its all being used on suburban lawns.

Buying into Boulder's out of the question for anyone in an entry level position unless you've already got some cushy bags of money to land on. The common perception is that Cali money drove Boulder's real estate prices through the roof in the last decade. You know, folks who rode the Cali real estate wave, sold out, and now they think that a $500K for a charming 3-bedroom house is a great deal. I've heard that not one of Boulder's cops can afford to own a home there, which could explain why they're so mean... You can't swing a paddle in Boulder these days without hitting a Cali expatriate.

If you really want to join the masses flocking to Colorado and making the Front Range more like a landlocked LA every day, I recommend you take the Cali plates off your car the day you get here. A friend drove back to visit with her new Cali plates and said that she got lots of nasty looks, cut off a lot, even keyed, and generally given a harder time on the roads than she'd ever experienced when she lived here.

Good luck wherever you decide to land.
I'll boat til the rivers run dry
CoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007   #20
Having reversed this move, I'm not sure if I would recommend it from a purely boating standpoint, or from a skiing & boarding perspective either.

That said, Colorado has the playparks and the camaraderie and what not for the afternoons, and much better town-accessible/roadside boating & other options for quick fun. Denver has Gore Canyon and Bailey when it's dry. The entire state is blessed with great boating & scenery when the water is up.

Whereas in CA you usually are boating in isolated areas, in isolated groups, or on dam releases with other boaters, but you are still a far cry from a real town: Belden Town & Groveland CA come to mind. Too much freeway driving and sketchy, unscenic "foothills" driving. Of course it's always worth it, (unless you get skunked) but it's nice to sleep in your own bed sometimes after paddling, like they do back east, where the paddling is more civilized--but that's another story.

Beware of getting lured to the NW by Todd, he must get a commission for every boater he recruits to the NW from MTBuzz, as he's always on here (and elsewhere) talking it up as this eden of pool-drop boating in a moderate, maritime climate, with an abundance of fishy, wholesome foods. A little dreary maybe, but that's okay because in Seattle they sprinkle Percocet into your coffee when you're a wounded kayaker. It's more than good, move there now. Put some Range into your Life.

I've never boated rivers in the NW but it's funny that TG doesn't ever talk up all the frozen drysuit action, ice-slicked logjam portages, and all the other miserably cold & woody things I hear about boating "year-round" in that part of the world.

Fun stuff, these semi-frantic "where to live" posts.

Hartje is offline   Reply With Quote