Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-22-2009   #1
River Gypsy
Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Someone please take some Royal Gorge pictures.

I'm needing pictures of Royal Gorge for the guidebook I'm working on, and would love it if someone would get in there and take some shots.

I am not so much interested in pics of Sunshine (although I won't rule them out), I want something that more gives a feeling for being in the Gorge itself - with some water (like 1000+).

Photos that are accepted for use in the book will get the photographer a free guidebook, and also enter them in the drawing to win a new Pyranha kayak.

You can email hi-res shots (only one per email please) to photos@brushymountainpublishing.com

More on the book at The River Gypsies

Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009   #2
River Gypsy
Bumping this back up. Royal Gorge is a classic, and I really don't want to have to leave it out of the book because I can't get photos.

Please help!

Old 05-23-2009   #3
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
well im afraid i cant help you with pictures of the gorge.

but i must say I am really looking forward to picking up a copy of your new book. the few pages you have listed already are beautiful, and a 350 page book of that style will really look top notch. i would imagine the beta will be solid, and designed for paddlers, by paddlers, and i cant wait to read the anecdotes and stories that always end up in the guidebook as well. from the work it sounds and looks like you've put into it, it really sounds like it will be a tremendous resource, as well as a great addition to any whitewater library. cant wait to read it!
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #4
River Gypsy
Thanks Yeti!

That's the kind of comments that keep me fired up to finish this thing. It's really hard sitting here working while I know snow is melting all over the place out west without me this year.

I'm definitely getting that itch to hold a copy of the book in my hand next year, and test it out as we drive all over the place paddling.

Old 05-24-2009   #5
Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
You could try working a deal with Brad at allaboutrivers.com, he has some good pictures on his website.
letsgoh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #6
Ed Hansen is a local regular gorge boater. He may have some pics. I know he has video, but not certain about good stills. I'll see if I can get him in contact with you.
dlcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009   #7
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I've got some pictures of Sunshine at about 480 cfs (Pics taken just a couple months ago in March)...I know you said that you are lookin for pics other than Sunshine and that you wanted pics with higher flows, but if you happen to need them, shoot me a message. I also have a few pics of the Royal Gorge Bridge from right above the Narrows in that flat water.
Airborne2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009   #8
Kearny, California
Wow! sounds interesting. I will find out for this.
Open Table for Denver Restaurants
zachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009   #9
I've got a bunch from Sledgehammer rapid last year on one of our trips at 4200 cfs. It was an evening run, we were at that rapid probably 7:00-7:30 pm, so the lighting is so-so, but it was the 19th of June, one of the longest days of the year.

I have the original files around here some where, but you can get the idea of what I'm talking about by looking at the lower resolutions on my webshots album, over 100 pics of Sledge there: Royal Gorge-Slegehammer Rapid pictures, photos, and videos, from kayaking on webshots

I can ID most of the boaters in the pics, the others I can find out from fellow boaters.

I've been hitting the Gorge 2-4 times a week lately. If it ever stops raining and the sun comes out, I'll take the camera and try to capture some quality shots.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009   #10
Buena Vista, Colorado

I'll get down there and take some pictures sometime in the next 2 weeks. Is there a certain time you need the photos by?

ckspaddler is offline   Reply With Quote