Old 05-12-2006   #1
Solo? Not a poll, make up your own mind.

While I'm logged in I would like to pose the question: Do you boat solo? This is not a plug for a Fluid creeker, and I don't mean at the play park when no one else is there which we do all the time. I also know that in a long, pumping Class 4-5 drop if things go bad wrong you are totally baked no matter how many people you are boating with. But, if you are a skilled boater doing a run that's a full level below your comfort zone with a group, do you go? Say you are a IV boater and after work you can't find a bro to run the #'s, class III, (its been down graded but that's another subject) do you do it and jog the shuttle, as I have seen people do and have done myself?

What do you think? How do you weigh the risks and rewards?

Lee D, Lisa's hubby.

Lisa Wilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #2
pnw, Washington
It's downrated cause you say so?

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #3
I guess Cutch already answered my question in his best season thread. I like Embick's take on the subject in "Fast & Cold", his AK ww guide, but that's more for knarly boaders which I am not. Soloing sure heightens awareness. Lee D.
Old 05-12-2006   #4
I'd like to know who has downgraded the numbers to class3?
Jutsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #5
No, buzzers have said it's just class 3 at low water. I still think it's class 4 (except maybe at low water). But that's ANOTHER TOPIC. Start your own topic Mr. Anon, don't poach mine. And answer the question, skate!
Old 05-12-2006   #6
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This is a touchy topic that's been discussed in the past - you can probably do a search and read several pages on the subject.

I have and will continue to solo runs that are below my skill level and/or that I'm very familiar with.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #7
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
Most of the fun of boating for me is just being in cool situations with classic personalities. Solo paddling is a whole different experience & it's not for everyone .. but certainly it forces you to remove the mental clutter when you're paddling, which can be helpful long after -- there's something to be said for going out & sharpening the pencil, so to speak.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #8
Mad Scientist/Creeker
First off - Leroy - get your own log-in. It's not real difficult. How can anyone take you seriously when you're signing things off with "Lisa's Hubby."

Second - Solo boating is cool if you are cool with it. I like it but I don't plan my season around if. If no one can go sometimes I still want to go and if everyhting falls into place I can have a real nice time on my own. I tend not to solo runs that I don't feel comfortable running sans scouting (for me this is stuff like Bailey, Poudre Narrows etc.). Runs that I have done probably over a hundred times. I would like to do a self support trip solo at some point to really dig deep into that personal experience - but really how can you beat the feeling of sharing an epic run with your homeboys, cracking the cold brews and the safety kit at the take-out... hardly a better feeling out there.

So yeah sometimes it's good to "sharpen the pencil." Sometimes it's good to share. To me though it's always a good time to take some strokes in the river.
RiverWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #9
Paddling Since: 1994
it seems you have answered your own question in the subject line..... make up your own mind.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #10
I want to know what Lisa's thoughts are on this issue.

Jutsu, Heather's boyfriend.

Jutsu is offline   Reply With Quote