Old 05-12-2006   #11
It is every americans natural right to go into the wilderness and get eaten by bears, fall off some cliff, or boat class five solo at flood.

festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #12
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Originally Posted by Lisa Wilk
I like Embick's take on the subject in "Fast & Cold", his AK ww guide, but that's more for knarly boaders which I am not. Soloing sure heightens awareness. Lee D.
Embick shot himself in the head. what does that tell you?

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think zbaird got it right...make up your own mind. Ultimately, it really doesn't matter what other people think. What matters is whether or not you think are safe and comfortable enough to solo whatever run you are paddling.
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006   #14
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
......not a bad idea unless your gut tells you it is....if you're freakin' maybe you made a bad decision.....JR420cb
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #15
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'm a 4-5 boater and I do not paddle anything more than park and play by myself. The way I see it, a life threatening pin can happen in class III. I have never experienced a pin I could not get out of myself , but I have seen very dangerous pins happen to others (in class III even), and its not a risk I am willing to take. If you want to paddle solo, that is your choice to make but it is definitely more of a risk than paddling with others...Plus, I like paddling with other people

jmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #16
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

yeah. thats about my attitude, but i distinctify a little, Ill run III-IV solo and be comfrotable, but will boat extremely responsibly, but im not about to run around hitting sketchy splats and wavewheeling in bony water when im on my own. i boat the gspot solo constantly, but considering that crazy diversion-strainer downstream, im aware that i may have to lose something so as not to get stuck under a log.. if i swim .. when the boat starts to feel heavy i float on, if i carp real bad, i definately chill for a few minutes
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #17
Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
Who's lisa?
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #18
ski/kayak bum
i haven't posted in a while but here goes. i've been boating alot by myself lately. its hard to find people in socal. so i do what i got to do. if anyone thinks that its wrong, then so be it. whats worse is that i could be sitting on my couch......

p.s. to my boys in ya and have a safe season (i'll be in d-town next weekend without a boat, if anyone wants to hang)
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #19
I prefer to run easy stuff solo,if it gets challenging then i boat very conservatively.You are hyper alert,cool, but not having a shuttle sometimes sucks.

Marjorie's sugar daddy
cayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006   #20
The next zone, .
If a boater solo’s a run and doesn’t post on Buzz will it make a sound?

Who gives a shit if anyone solo’s any run – go do it. I don’t care if you decide to drink a bottle of whiskey and stick a shotgun in your mouth – your decision – if you do this just remember it is best to pull both triggers!

Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote