Old 11-14-2005   #21
Indian Hills, Colorado
Feeding frenzy or not, the rassy was chumming the water with this thread.

I've seen the dog on the river a few times. He's a real gentlemen, helping beginners down for their first time, keeps a sense of humor through swims, etc. Respect.

I find my self shaking my head sometimes as his posts that boat recommendation thread a while back. Something about oh this play boat loops better than that one and yada yada. Man, the last loop doggie had was covered in milk and tasted like fruit.

(in summary)
Rassdog=good guy
people giving advice on things they don't know about = super weak

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005   #22
ski/kayak bum
rasdoggy- make the sport what you want it to be, thats part of the beauty, noone telling you what to do, just you, nature and few of your buddies. surround yourself with those that you like to boat with. open a shop or a website (like you did with the beginner group) and treat it the way you want. it maybe successful, it may not. let the rest of us do the same. I'm by no means a first d'in, hair-boater but i enjoy myself as i know you do. take a little ribbing and enjoy it.....give it back if necessary but please quit taking it all so seriously.....on that note

surfpimp you little seem to pop your head up anytime you feel that berating people will make you look better....instead go bury yourself in some hoe like a real pimp would and prove how much of a man you really are....that will do much more for you then talking shit....or maybe you prefer tools? Ras, i think he was admiring......

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #23
Indian Hills, Colorado
Backing up double a's comment's, your work on the newby yahoo group is commendable. Good work sir!
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #24
pnw, Washington
Has this forum become overtly PC now? I dont see anyone that started feeding on 'the blood in the water' that took exception or criticized Ras's statement. It is more about the attitude that seems to come with the post. We have all been brought down a notch on this board in one way or another many times. For me this has been a growth experience and if you take something positive away from that then its all good. My feeling was that Ras needed to be brought down a notch, obviously he was. I dont see anything mean spirited or aimed at the inexperienced kayaker on this post so dont make more of it than it was. Whinning about the rebuff just made it worse.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #25
Thanks for the props about my work with the new boater crowd.

Brought down a notch? Really I think that some of these reply's just prove a point a made in an earlier post.
But then again it's always fun to rip on someone you don't know or agree with.

This thread wasn't about me I really don't care what the bro crowd thinks of me, I'll still throw you a rope. But written after listening to several boaters I've met over the summer talking about the attitude of SOME NOT ALL of the more experienced boaters both here and at Golden. And a reply made to a post about a book I just read, like ALL boaters should have known about it already. If you take exception to what I have had to say maybe you should be looking in a mirror.
And maybe the industry should take the stance of SWR as a being needed before you buy a boat so everyone knows about Slim Ray and his books.

About my posting about the Crazy 88 being a looping boat It doesn't take a huge brain or being able to do a loop to see that is what that boat is made to do look at the lines of it compared to other play boats (sharp narrow/scoop nose, wide mid section, stubby length) much like a S6F. That said with the right skill set and feature you could loop most of the newer boats out there, you could probly loop the beloved JEFE, but you can also use a screwdriver as a hammer.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #26
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Soap boxes sink in snow. Go ride already, its fresh and doesn't have an opinion!!!

Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #27
Thought-criminal, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Dudes...enough. The snow has fallen. Go back outside. Go to Copper, ride the lift, duck a couple ropes and enjoy some faceshots.
I hope in the future Americans are thought of as a warlike, vicious people, because I bet a lot of high schools would pick "Americans" as their mascot. -Jack Handy
BastrdSonOfElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #28
pnw, Washington
I would rip on you more if I knew you. I am not part of any crowd and I have actually boated with only a small fraction of the people who post so I cant say I am part of the bro crowd. You have seemed to have an attitude since you started posting about their being some sort of bias against the beginner boater on mtn buzz. I take exception to that and think the forum is very helpful but yes can be very sarcastic. You seemed to think that this board was so biased that you started your own site. So when someone made one comment you go off on some soapbox drama. You made it into some us vs. them theme and I think you were wrong. I post out here wayyyyy to often but I have a boring sad 9-5 job that despite the abuse about being a sellout I feel like I need to pay the bills so I took it personal. So when the beginner posts start in the spring as they do every spring I will be there giving advice, and sarcasm, and help new people get started as most of us have for several years.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005   #29
Just alittle info

The Colorado Kayakers site wasn't started, from a bias about Mountain Buzz or the posting of the regulars.
It was started by a boater other than myself as a email group that grew to large after I became a member and started promoting it to the shops and existing clubs as a place for new/advancing boaters to met each other for when and where we were going to meet to go pracitce/boating. It was changed to a site like what the CWWA uses and then it grew in numbers to being to large to follow in that format so the Colorado Kayakers site was formed.

I hope everyone here does continue to help out the new/advancing boater, but when someone does rip/make fun of me for something I post I will feel free to sit at my keyboard till I get bored with the topic.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005   #30
Boulder, Colorado
let's all give each other a big hug and go play in the over 3 feet of fresh powder that's covering most of the local ski resorts I'm out tomorrow at winter park, they had 41" of powder in the last 72 hours, and nearly 60" of snow already for the season!

It's been a great boating season and by god i'm gonna get that loop next season! well, as soon as I can bow stall in the first place. I look forward to boating with you again Ras, and everyone else too!

I want to clarify too, that the Colorado Kayakers site was started because I have been boating for several years but couldn't find people at my own level to boat with- my schedule didn't mesh with most boaters I know. So, with no us/them mentality involved, I thought I would ask if anyone wanted to join an e-mail list for beginner/intermediate boaters so we can find people to paddle with. Rasdoggy had the same idea and promoted the site in such a way that we have more paddling partners than we ever imagined would have been possible! So, it's been great. Thanks to all of you here in the buzz for your insights and ideas, I appreciate it and I've learned a lot from posts on this site. See you all next season!

Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote