Old 03-20-2013   #11
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Thanks guys. I'm going to get my tail in for some PT asap. I guess if the river has been around long enough to carve out the Grand Canyon, then it will still be around in a few months.

Damn patience is hard!

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #12
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
Hey guys.... ya, I'm still nursing this damn shoulder injury. It seems now that it's some sort of sick joke. Highest water level in 4 years on the day that I get the news that I likely now have "frozen shoulder" and it may take a year or more to get back to normal.

So much for being nice to it and doing PT 2x week. This sucks. Told the orthro guy today that said to me "nothing can be done to help it beyond doing some gentle stretching and waiting it out for a year or so" that I wasn't just some gal having trouble lifting my shopping bag- but this is a real quality of life issue for me. Not being able to be on the water is not only my sanity saver- it's my summer job.

I'll likely go in for a 2nd opinion on this- but it's not looking promising.

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013   #13
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Bummer, I feel for you.
I'm not a doc, but had good luck with cortisone, at least it got the swelling down enough to boat for a while. Then it stopped working and my doc sent me to pt which seems to have worked. The therapist took one look at me and asked if I was a lefty because the shots had atrophied the right shoulder. you have to look at the big picture, do you want to finish the inning, or last many more seasons. I had to give up climbing years ago so I could at least raise my arm to drink beer,etc. At least I can still boat.The magic shot works wonders but eventually you will pay for it. Don't worry, there will be water next year, stick to therapy and be strong.
more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #14
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Hey Kendi I feel for you. I'm fighting my own medical thing that is getting in the way of boating and sometimes working. It is sooo frustrating and taking it easy so foreign. All I can say is hang in there, you're not alone. I try to picture injuries of my youth that kept me out, and now I can't say missing that ski season, or summer of playing, or year of recovery was so bad in hindsight. However that was HARD to keep in focus missing this last weekend in the Lochsa when it peaked HUGE! I could have served cake at my pity party! Finding an alternative mental health activity is especially hard, keeping the right attitude for life AND proper treatment of your injury. Gawd it sucks. But it'll pass and life will be better again soon. Best of luck to you.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013   #15
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1986
Kendi, I suggest you check out PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) injections. This is a new treatment that many professional athletes are using to heal quickly so they can get back in action sooner. Your own blood is withdrawn, centrifuged, and then the platelet rich plasma is reinjected into the wound site. This helps the body heal itself, and it can really speed up healing. The down side to the treatment is that it is new so most insurance won't cover it and one injection can cost up to $850.

Hope you find some relief. Don't push it though. I injured my shoulders guiding multiple seasons on the Zambezi, where we would swamp a
16' bucket boat in every rapid (think heavy). I kept guiding without dealing with the injury and now have bad arthritis in my shoulders that limits what I can do. It is way better to miss a season than to have to stop doing it altogether.
mukunig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013   #16
Lincoln City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1990
Kendu: Just a few months ahead of you in the process of frozen shoulder. 3 months ago diagnosed with Frozen Shoulder, thought for sure I had a torn bicep tendon etc. 1 shot and 12 sessions w/ aggressive Physical Terrorist & home therapy has really paid dividends. Rowed the Illinois River in March and was not a happy camper pain wise. Another Shot, more PT. Now rowing the drift boat pain free, contemplating Idaho with 90% ROM and dreams of serious fun !! Stick with the PT !! Good Luck !!

mrett is offline   Reply With Quote