Old 03-24-2008   #1
Knoxville, Tennessee
Paddling Since: 1981
So, how bad is boating in Salt Lake?

I thought I would spend the rest of my boating life here in the SE, but work has taken a turn for the worse and I may have a great business opportunity that would require me to relocate to SLC for many years. How bad is it going to be? How long of a season is it? How far will I have to drive to get regular water? Is there a decent boating community? I know the climbing, canyoneering, sking, fishing, hiking, biking, etc is good, but it would be hard to give up the rivers and creeks of the SE.

Throb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #2
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
SLC Boating has a good description of the local runs. I lived there for a number of years and the boating could be worse. Spring boating following a good snowpack winter is fun - the Ogden and Weber up in Ogden, UT and the Provo river down in Provo, UT can offer a few weeks of spring boating - April/May. Plenty of runs in Idaho that are 3+ hours away, and the Snake River up by Jackson Hole, WY is great all summer long, and only a mere 4 hours away.

Plus, you're that much closer to the big multi-day rivers - MF and Main Salmons, Lochsa, Snake, etc.

Unless kayaking is the only thing you do, SLC has a lot to offer and is centrally located to a lot of great places and outdoor activities. Four hours in any direction and you can hit all sorts of National Parks (Yellowstone, Teton, Zions, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, etc, etc) and other great places.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #3
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Day trips are very seasonal, though last year the lower Provo was boatable
most of the summer. We've had a big snow year so it should be better this year. Westwater is usually runnable except at extreme high or low water and is a good weekend trip. You could get to the Payette for a weekend trip too if you are motivated.

Quick access to the week long desert trips on the Green, Colorado, San Juan, and stuff in Idaho is great.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #4
Rubber Pusher
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You're also relatively close to the big desert rivers. Green, Colorado (Westwater and Cataract). Grand Canyon is kind of close.

Durango and the boating down here is only 5 or so hours away.

Then there is always the worthwhile spring migration to the Salt... as long as there's water.
ecjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #5
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Might be worth giving the Utah Whitewater Club forum on eddyflower a try.
"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #6
Commercial Paleontology
SLC boating

Hey Throb,

If you can afford it (about 50 smackers) buy Whitewater of the Southwestern Rockies..Stafford & McCutchen. It won't give you the fairly close Idaho runs but will set you up with pleny of info to keep you busy.

MtnGuyXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008   #7
, Wyoming
SLC Boating

I would say that you are going to give up a lot coming from the mecca that is the SE but it isn't that bad! You really don't have the after work runs but there is a lot of good boating in every direction about 3 to 10 hours. I will say that I have been going to school here for the last 4 years and I am about to graduate and also am looking to leave to move some where with a great after work run all summer. I haven't decided where yet! i would move here but you are going to have to realize that it is not the SE! Great Boating for weekends in the area!

paddle4eva is offline   Reply With Quote