Old 12-02-2003   #1
So. California Boating?

I just moved to Orange County from Denver (I know, it sucks, not one single snow flake and the girls are still better looking in Co.) but i need some boating. Does anyone know about the rivers/season/community/websites? And is playboating in the surf as fun as it seems like it should be? Or is it just sand in the pants?

kappinkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003   #2
I have one word for you

The Lower Kern is just past Bakersfield and runs often in the winter. Good class 5 on the Cascades section and 3/4 on the lower section. I am less sure about the runs above kernville. The scene there rocks and Sierra South is the shop in Kernville that can clue you in. Winter boating in Cali is awesome. I maily worked the area North of Sacramento but the creeking is awesome up there and you can Ski the lake and Boat in the foot hills in the same day.

Playboating in the surf is really fun. Just be careful around the surfers or avoid then all together. Figure out the protocol before getting in the line up.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003   #3

From one stranded boater to an othe you basically have two choices 1) drive pretty far north for some winter boating or 2)get your fix in ocean and wait for spring. Kernville, the kern river in general is awsome, but not untill the spring. The river has everything 1-6 a few creeks that feed into it (brush creek being my favorite) and it even has an oldschool play park. The Kings River and the Kaweah aren't that bad a drive either, but not untill spring. As for the ocean, if you are in O.C. try surfing San Onofre. It is a state beach, so you have to pay to get in, but there is a section of the beach just for kayaking. Head to the very southern most section where the parking lot ends and surf to your hearts content. It is right in front of the huge nuclear power plant (no joke) you can't miss it. I'm a bit of a river snob myself and but the ocean can be alot of fun.

drop a line if you ever want to go play in the surf
Lanchera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003   #4
Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Posts: 429 is the Cali equivilant of mountainbuzz. Unfortunately for you and the rest of the SoCal gang, it's mostly geared towards NoCal boaters. Try for an online river guide. I'm not sure how much they have for SoCal, but it seems to cover the state pretty well. At any rate, those are the sites I use for Cali info.

"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)
earthNRG is offline   Reply With Quote