Old 05-10-2006   #1
Smells like a scam?

I've got a guy looking to buy a paddle from me for his "client" and professes to be paying by cashiers check and that his client will be picking up the paddle personally. He's requesting a bunch of personal info for the cashiers check and I'm thinking something smells a bit. ....anyone have a similar experience?

I replied that since the Client is picking up the paddle, he can inspect and do COD when he meets me. ...and yes, I'll be packin heat!

kayakross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #2
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Head to Boatertalk and look under gearswap. THere is a huge topic link up top to the scam and the secret service website.

GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #3
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

It's a huge rip off- don't fall for it. Real folks don't use out of country cashiers checks. You will get ripped off. Let me guess: he's going to send you more money than you asked for and you just need to send him the extra money. It's a SCAM.

Here's how it works: The check is a fake. The bank has to cash the check, but they won't find out it's fake until 2-3 weeks later. Then you will be responsible for repaying the debt to the bank. You get the bill- he get's your money, and no one is buying your paddle.

Here's how to screw the Scammer: Have him send you the check. Have him over night it. He at least has to pay the postage. Then turn over the check to the police with all his contact info. You're out of the loop. He's out the postage and the cops have his details. That's about all you can do.

Just don't try cashing the check.
I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #4
It's not a scam some guy from Nigeria just wired 20Mil into my bank account
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #5
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
oh no way, you too?! i thought i was the only lucky one to talk to that general
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #6
Yea what an Idiot he transferred 20 mil into my account and I’m supposed to transfer 18mil to George Bush but I’m going to keep it all and buy me a Burn and a woody paddle.
David H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #7

i had the same thing happen to me on mountainbuzz last summer. Except i was selling my 16,000 dodge durango. I received the check in the mail and then about a day before i was going to cash the check i saw a post on mountainbuzz. Who ever posted that saved me a lot of money. I actualy sold my durango before the check ever came to me because i did not think the girl was telling the truth. When the check came in the mail i was like shit what do i tell this person. She said it was alright and just cash the money in my bank, keep $200 for my troubles and wire the rest back to her. I turned the email and info into the FBI but they never did anything. I would have some fun with the person as long as he does not have your phone number or address.
cwcowan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #8
Scam, no doubt about it - and you should definately have some fun with him. Check this out for some ideas....
22West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #9
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I would highly recommend getting them to come and pick up the paddle or whatever, then issuing them a beat down. We all know the cops aren't going to help, so maybe a little Louisville Slugger is in order. Take their wallet too.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #10
Preacher of the Profit Paddling Since: 1990

WL, that's the point. No one is ever going to come and pick-up the paddle. It's a scam they can run from their own home or their own country. Just make them send you the check the most expensive way possible. That's the only way you can really stick-it to them.

The Feds the locals can't do anything. This happen tens of thousands of times a day. The cops aren't going to chase down crooks in other countries for check freud.

If the bums keep bugging you for the money. Tell them you need two weeks to make sure the check clears the bank before sending them the money.

I love to dance, but who needs the music- It throws me off.
Don is offline   Reply With Quote