Old 05-23-2011   #1
loveland, Colorado
slightly discouraged new boater

i have kayaked for a little while in co. but wanted to get into something i could do/share with more poeple. so i have been doing all the usual research and have decided to get a cat. 14' prob. made plans for a frame and the whole bit right!? and then i started looking for good places to go both close, day trips, overnight trips, epic trips ext. and i found that more than not you need a permit to float alot of rivers. not a big deal but it sounds like alot of them are hard to come by. as in some people are on this site saying they need to tag along on a permit just to get their boat out!! i grew up in wisconsin were you don't need a permit to do much. like as long as the water way can be navigated it is considered public. it just kind of a bummer that you can get pumped up get a boat get it all set up and be stuck not able to use it. i work construction so my weekends are already few and far between. then try to work in a permit YIKES! any way at work its 9:30 pm on monday and have been at work since 7pm sun. sorry for rambling. tired

willieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #2
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
No no no have it all wrong. Yes, there are rivers that require permits, they typically are amazing and therefore everyone wants to do them at the same time. With a little planning you can be thoroughly enjoying these permit rivers quickly. The BLM etc make it a simple process and isn't but $7-10 pp for a permit.
On the flip side of that, there are some awesome and amazing rivers all over Colorado that require no permit, show up, put in, ice the beer and away you go! Upper Colorado is fun, close and no permit. Arkansas is a blast, no permit.
Stick with us kid.....we'll edumacate ya! Check out the trip planner section of the forums, search first for information, then ask if you can't find what you need.
I would start with the Upper Colorado..........great first trips!
Feel free to PM me if you have more questions or put them out here on the thread.

SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #3
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Totally agree summit surfer...Most rivers do not need permits...wanna raft numbers tomorrow...come on and join us! If not how about the Blue, Eagle, Gunnison, Colorado, Clear creek, Ten mile, the Poudre, Yampa, etc there are plenty of awesome stretches out there. Don't be bummed out, in reality only a few select areas are permitted and some of those permits, like Cataract, are super easy to get.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #4
loveland, Colorado
well you guys are making me feel better. i need to dig alittle deeper into it. it just seemed from what i was reading that is the way it was. i am still going to get my rig. i like show up, put in, ice the beer, and away you go.
Old 05-23-2011   #5
Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Are you still kayaking? Give it a couple of weeks and then you can do a Poudre rustics run, then camp out, the stevens down! No permit.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #6
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
permit rivers get a lot of discussion because they are some of the best rivers but the permit system means when you go you really want to maximize the trip. Everyone wants to have the right gear, the right camps and make it go smoothly so they can really enjoy a multi day trip.

There are plenty of free-non permit rivers and they are usually closer, cheaper and very fun. you just generally can't string together a 7 day trip on one that doesn't involve some shenanigans.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011   #7
loveland, Colorado
you know i am trying to sell my kayak so i can buy my cat.
Old 05-23-2011   #8
Pugetopolis, Washington
Paddling Since: 96
There's a reason why many of these "jewels" are permitted. And if you're lucky enough to win one(get invited) then you need to plan ahead,just like with any other vacation,RE:work. Sometimes it sucks but it just comes with the territory. There's still plenty of multi-days to do,if you do your homework. And Deso,Cat,Westy permits aren't that hard to come by.

In the mean time,you got the Poudre right outside your backdoor...whats there to complain about? Its a badass river
BarryDingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #9
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986

Keep the kayak & buy a 12-pack of Sunshine or Fat tire and go park, with your boat, gear, ready to go, at the Bridges put-in on the Poudre or the takeout. Unless you are a complete social reprobate you will find that there are numerous people who you can share kayaking with.

Cats are usually rowed which means whoever you are sharing with is riding Bitch like on a motorcycle. They may not like that for long.

A used Boat, paddle and spray skirt will run you a fraction of a Cat as well.

If you have no idea how to paddle in whitewater, or roll, or have no idea where the Cache La Poudre is, contact Poudre Paddlers. They are a local club that is a great way to get started.

Good Luck
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011   #10
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Check to see if there's a whitewater rafting club in your area. That's how I got started. Our group would meet in the winter, put in for permits, then meet again in the spring to see what permits we got. From there, we'd fill up an entire summer calendar with permit and non-permit trips.
Cats rock man. I've been rowing a 14 ft. Cat for 14 years now. LOVE IT.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote