Old 04-05-2006   #11
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I hate to call it like I see it, but BSoE's post is dead-on. I can't label this one a blatant troll, as I've seen Yakgrrll post other legit messages to this board before.

BUT, here's the catch: yes, I too came to this site a clueless newby. Yes, I too asked (what were probably stupid/ silly/ naive) questions about boats and teaching and bombproofing a roll. But the difference between most of the responses I got, and most of what Yakgrrll has, has been in the legitimacy of answers: I came here as a dumb, young boater who happened to be female. My primary interest was connecting with other cued-in, experienced, and more knowledgable boaters. After my first handful of posts, if someone asked, I let them in on the fact that yes, I was a girl. I didn't jump on the Buzz and advertise myself as a single chick with an agenda-- and I think that may be part of what's gotten Yakgrrll into trouble.

Now, do I think I've handled every situation here on the Buzz the right way, every time? Hell no. Are you kidding me?? I'm just saying, be a boater, first and foremost. Put it out there that boating and skills and beta and new rivers are at the top of your list of priorities. Let folks know if you're looking to paddle with other chicks (maybe that's whay Yakgal posted she was single? Given the benefit of the doubt for a second, she could've just been asking for other single girls to show her the ropes, even if that's not how it came off initially?), or just friendly folks who're willing to spend a little time helping you hone your skills. Rasdoggy had a few great suggestions if you're looking for the latter, and if the paddling is your priority. If the single fellas are, don't waste your time or $$ on the flashy new boat or labor-intensive instruction, go hang out at the whitewater park, the local playhole, the take-out-- there should be plenty of guys there.

I'll tell you this much: I've gotten far more respect as a boater who happens to be female and single, than I would've had I taken the route of being a chick who happened to be single and boat. I'd much rather have a fella fawn over me for the fact I got out there, took my licks, had my ass handed to me a couple of times, and ultimately proved that I could hang with the guys, than for the fact I happened to be halfway attractive and admittedly single. I don't know, call me crazy, but meeting men/ people has never been a motivating factor for getting on the water any given day?? Unfortunately, with the way the original post was worded, I think it may've bitten you in the ass 'cause that's what it *kinda* sounds like you were out there wanting to do??

And BTW Yakgrrll, if I lived in CO, I'd have been happy to have shown you the ropes on a run or two. Unfortunately, with me living in the SE instead, all I can offer are a few (very unsolicited) words of advice about dealing with these zany (but mostly lovable) boater men!

newby0616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #12
ha ha ha

Yakgrrl....if you laughed your ass off at all these are going to LOVE kayaking and its irreverant predominately male although not exclusively community. The nothing is sacred ribbing is part of the fun. I won't be volunteering to paddle any long stretches of flat water with you either...but if you need someone to meet up and surf in Gunni, Salida, BV to get some substantial combat roll practice in, I am always game for extending the female boater community. Send a PM. If you didn't laugh however...

Now, beta....Gunni it worth bringing the boat along for the weekend. I'm headed to closing weekend at CB - is there enough water to play?

moshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #13
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Y'all are right. What I ment to say was that I don't paddle flat water unless absolutely necessary, I'm not patient enough to watch you swim browns, and Gunnison is out of the question. However, yakgrl you should give up on this learning to kayak BS, grab a High Life from the cooler in my truck and drive shuttle while the bros run the shit. I'll be warming up in CB this spring, bring the bikini. Otherwise, call me in a few years after Smokem has showed you all he knows about schwag nugs, class IV boating, and 30 seconds to glory. I think this is the beginning to a beautiful relationship, girl.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #14
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Now That's what I'm talkin 'bout!!!
The season has officially started .......anymore takers??
Go Dawgs!!!
Happiness is a way of travel not a destination
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #15
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
Bwah-ha, figures this thread gets some attention. Couldn't of said it better myself, Bastard Child. Of course I figured newby would have somethin to say on this as well, kinda sounds familiar dont it (pissin on your leg)? Nice of you to share your wisdom though, seein as you are the alpha female for this board and all. You've got mail.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #16
way to go joe. I just said the same thing to my girly and i am sleepin on the couch. Thanks for being a roll model.....dick.
huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #17
Paddling Since: 1994
yak grl, give joe a chance. two posts and he hasnt started telling you ex stories yet. he has even offered for you to run shuttle for him. leaps and bounds from a couple weeks ago. i couldnt even get out of the driveway with him before hearing an ex story. and smoke is right, rafts are a lot more comfy then the back of a kayak.

joe, at least you havent brought up the ex, but come on. i know she is in gunny and all but who knows dude. you gotta go for a little sympathy maybe even chivalry or something. i.e. i just got done with surgery from busting my face while saving lives and since i am layed up a little and trying to heal my face and since i love helpingg people i would love to show you down some easier runs to get your boat wet. you never know you may have just passed on the only chick you could have ever convinced to row your gear. scare the hell out of her in a kayak, tell her how much better rafting is. hand her the oars and paddle of. barkow felis cant be on every trip ya know.
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #18
That's some funny shit. Whether yakgrrl was looking for a date or a boating partner, y'all have proved it...When it comes to meeting men on the river, "the odds are good but the goods are odd".
holley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #19
I'm a bit overwhelmed right now as I just fell off the chair, dropped my beer and damn near died laughing!!!!!
. . .I was not expecting this!!! Great job on the responses!! It might take me a bit to get back to you all but I surely will!!!
. . .By the way B.S.O.E., I hope to find you at a river camp somewhere and have a shot w/ ya!! You too, Newby, as your inspiring words of wisdom (along with smoke em's food for thought) definately deserve a beer or ??? coming on me!!
I enjoyed all of these responses!
Withdrawn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006   #20
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by yakgrrl101
deserve a beer or coming on me!!

oh wait... game face,bkp!

How YOU doin'?

bkp77 is offline   Reply With Quote