Old 12-16-2005   #11
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002

That 'biner with the built in pully is pretty cool! Thanks for the link!

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005   #12
Seattle, Washington
also, tiblocs are great, light, tiny, and don't tangle. A prussik might perhaps be more versatile, but the tiblocs are FAST to deploy in these rope rescues. They are also easier when adjusting the floating pulley that is out on the tensioned line.

A complete minimalist pin kit could look something like this:

3 of those pulley/biner combo biners
2 tiblocs
15' piece of tubular webbing

that's pretty damn compact and light.

I've had to unwrap a raft, 2 hardshells and four IKs in the last year or so. In the majority of cases, it's extremely helpful to have a brake prusik/tibloc on the system. And I agree you can rarely double back all the way out ot the boat. I carry 70' of spectra, and it's been within 10' of too short at least twice.

slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005   #13
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Will tibloc damage ropes?
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005   #14
Seattle, Washington
No, they're used in climbing all the time and meant to be used on ropes.
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005   #15
Seattle, Washington
the tibloc teeth can do some damage. Personally, I replace my load-bearing rope every 2 to 3 years, and within that time, I've not had a problem with tiblocs significantly damaging the rope. The damage can be limited by how you use them. From what I've been told in SWR courses, ANY rope that will carry a load should be replaced at that interval, even if you've never loaded it. This is due to UV or water damage. Sand can get in the rope and abraid the rope internally. How many z-rigs will you set in two or three years? How much damage can you do with a tibloc in that amount of time? I mean, it's not like your using it as an ascender every weekend, ya know?

When I retire a rope from active load duty, it usually becomes a tarp line or raft bow line or something like that. Throw rope if it's the right size, or junk rope for steep hike-ins where lowering boats by rope.

Tiblocs are smaller and faster than prussiks, and don't create a possible entrapment issue. We recently had an IK pin in a 6-foot ledge, and it was an interesting situation. The paddler was partially under the curtain, being held in his boat by both thighstraps and the force of the water. We needed the rope system and we needed it fast. Tiblocs are instant -- prusiks have the be dressed and tensioned properly, and loosened and redressed when moving them on the rope. I'd guess using tiblocs got us to the paddler at least a minute faster than prusiks.

That said, I usually carry 6-8 prusiks on multiday trips because they are so versatile when rigging tarps.

But for speed, nothing beats the tibloc. And you don't have to worry about abrasion/weakening issues since of the prusiks themselves, or whether you have the right diameter prusik cord for that 1/4, 3/8 or 11mm rope that someone is carrying.

just my $0.02. I hear I might be a gearhead ...
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005   #16
As far as I've heard from rescue groups and classes, once a rope is used for a rescue, it's retired from use.

Doug Poudre is offline   Reply With Quote