1 and 2. road closures: San Juan National Forest- Recreation
3, 4, 5 and 6. you can catch the train at rockwood to silverton in the AM. it cost $89 and you must have a reservation. your boat and gear is another $50. see the timetable http://www.durangotrain.com/sites/de...with_dates.pdf
7. about 11 or 12ish miles. not too bright to put on at 5pm
8. another 12 or so. should take a couple hours.
9. yes of course. how many days do you have? it is a 6 mile hike from needleton into chicago basin.
Originally Posted by kuuskv
I'm looking for a little bit of info for a trip I'd like to do in a couple weeks. I'll be in Telluride for the bluegrass fest and I'll have a few more days off work afterward. I'd like to drive over to Silverton and run the Upper Animas.
- Does anyone know if Ophir Pass is open?
- Where might you find this online?
- Can I catch the train in Rockwood and take it back to Silverton?
- How much does that cost?
- Do I need to buy a ticket ahead of time or do I need to bring cash?
- When I looked at the Durango train website it appears that the last train leaves Durango around 10:30 am. How long does it take the train to get to Rockwood?
- How many river miles is it from Silverton to Needleton? Can I paddle this stretch if I put on at 5pm?
- How long is it from Needleton to Rockwood? Average paddling time (in mid June)?
- Has anyone ever combined the Upper A with hiking the 14ers in Chicago Basin? (this is my main objective) Any trip reports out there?