Old 06-13-2006   #1
He's a part-time Disco champion and a full-time Woman Lover, Colorado
Silly tubers...

"In reality, it's not that bad," said Heather Prosser, 19, of Westminster. "If you feel you're in trouble, you just stand up. There are only a few places where it's not shallow enough to stand."

This is an actual quote from a tuber on Boulder Creek today about why tubing is on the river is safe. Uhm, ever hear of a foot entrapment???

It's a wonder more of these idiots don't kick the bucket each year. The report also says that people should follow the lead of "professionals" (kayakers) and wear the right protective gear... when will people learn.,00.html

I hope you're all on board cause this bus is ready to roll.
smoke emif ugotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I posted this on the other thread yesterday "Tuber Drowns on Boulder Creek". I sent an e-mail to the author of the story and the editor of the paper explaining what a foot entrapment is and admonishing them for printing the quote. I also told them that it was dangerous to give people this horribly inaccurate advice. That it is okay to stand up in the river if it gets too rough???? My goodness! If some unsuspecting tuber dies because of their deadly advice...

I still have not received a response from either representative of the paper.

lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #3
Actually, it's not the News saying that quote. It was a quote from one of those 19 year old professional tubers. She is clueless about foot entrapments.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #4
Lakewood, Colorado
I realize that it is a quote from a clueless girl. I feel the paper was negligent in printing the quote because it is a very dangerous thing to do. Another clueless person may take the quote as valid advice when in the same situation.
Old 06-14-2006   #5
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Guys, it is just Boulder Creek, and the fact of the matter is that you can just stand up in alot of places and the water really isn;t swift enough for it to be a problem.

It has always been a pet peve (sp?) of mine about people who are overly cautious of the foot entrapement. I remember rafting once when I was younger, the guide let us out to swim in some class nothing. When re-entering the raft I stood and the party in the back ripped on me like I was fixing to die.

My point is that it IS something to be aware of, but it isn't that big of a deal, definitely not something to write the editor about. The fact of the matter is if you get disoriented, held down, or are swallowing too much water (read: too rough) the natural instinct is to put your feet down, and your instincts are usually right.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Hate to tell you... yes -- even in little Boulder Creek Play park there are potential entrapments. Several years ago I had helped a girl who got flipped in one of the holes in the Boulder Play Park. I can still remember the look of pure terror on her face as she was trying to hang on to her inner tube. -- She was not flushing out, and hollered out for help. I was on the shore at the time, and dove in and was able to pull her out of the hole, a friend of hers helped me to get her to shore. I found out later that her leg had been broken.
Cheyenne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #7
Lakewood, Colorado
Originally Posted by tellutwurp
Guys, it is just Boulder Creek
Uhhhh... bad things can happen anywhere. A person DIED there this week. I think it's pretty inconsiderate to say " is just Boulder Creek..." I'm sure his family and friends don't feel that way. Also, a class IV paddler died kayaking II+ this year (according to the account I read)! Some respect???

I don't disagree with your raft guide either. He/she was responsible for your safety. I know a guide that held the head of a young girl with a foot entrapment out of the water. They got to her as fast as they could, but it was too late and she ended up dying because of the initial submersion. It wasn't a crazy streatch of river.

You do what you want, but please don't encourage people to do something that could make the situation worse and possibly deadly. Maybe I'm overboard, but I take safety seriously.

I'm sorry if I'm on a soap box for this issue. I guess uninformed people just piss me off. Enough.
Old 06-14-2006   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Foot entrapment is no joke, and it suprises me that any boater would have an issue with people practicing cautious river safety. Your instincts to put your feet down are WRONG, especially if the water is too rough! Swim out agressively, or keep your feet up in a defensive position. AW did lots of safety reviews and were instrumental in identifying foot entrapments as major hazards to boaters early on. The fact of the matter is that if water is moving and deep enough that you can get killed very quickly by foot entrapments. I have had many experienced boaters say that they would ream me a new one if they saw me standing in current over knee deep. Of course all of the safety classes say the same thing. If you have ever tried to stand up in moving current (doing river crossings in a safety class etc.) you know that trying to stand up in any kind of current over knee high is useless anyway, you get knocked down most of the time.

Anyway, I personallyfeel it IS a big deal, and commend lmaciag for writing the letter to the editor. They are not whitewater experts, but they should be notified if they print unsafe information.

Perhaps someone should write up a brief one page safety handout for tubers and hand them out, or have boulder etc print it in the paper. Just a thought.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #9
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
There is at least one death from a foot entrapment in 18 inches of water. You do the math.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006   #10
Systems & Process Design, Colorado
I think it is too bad that when a tuber dies that we have a post titled "Silly Tubers". In fact it is down right offensive. If a friend of mine died doing something that he didn't fully understand I wouldn't want to read something calling him silly. A lot of people I work with think kayaking class V is silly.

alexhenes is offline   Reply With Quote