Old 06-05-2008   #21
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
If Loveland is seriously attempting to save the parking places for the people that are going to be spending the day in the park, then that would be understandable, especially if commuters frequently use the parking area. But the argument is BS if they permit people to park in the lot and then to hike out of the park. There is no difference between hiking out of the park and kayaking into the park. Both use the park in their recreation plans. So perhaps the answer is to park in the lot, start hiking up towards towards the trail, jump in the shuttle car, and head up the road. Then there will only be boats in the park on the way out. And if they yell at you then, you just say you were already on your way out. Just make sure you have everything organized ahead of time, including gear in the car going to the top, and straps in the car at the bottom.

aschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008   #22
Let's do lunch

You could always organize a trip with 30 boaters where you stop there for lunch for, say 8 hours or so, with your boats spread out for onlookers to see, and then continue on down to the take out below.

robanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
We took out on the Big T today and had a talk with a couple of the park employees. They said that the park is city property, and that there is a policy of no swimming or boating access in the park. They said that it's fine if we boat through the park or take out above or below, but not take out or put on within the bounds of the park. He said they wanted to be nice about it, but that his boss was starting to get agitated about it and that eventually those violating the regulation will be talking to someone with a badge. He offered alternate take-outs, both at the bridge above the park and at a pool below it. The encounter went as well as these sorts of encounters can be expected to.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #24
Golden, Colorado
Originally Posted by craven_morhead View Post
They said that the park is city property, and that there is a policy of no swimming or boating access in the park.
Did you happen to ask them why? Is it just to save the stupid people from themselves or do they have a legitimate reason?
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #25
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Send a message via AIM to craven_morhead
I don't think a reason was proffered; just that it was the park policy. My guess, and it's only that, is that it's at least in part because they don't want people to think that it's safe to play around in the river, but again, that's just speculation.
craven_morhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #26
The dude in the Golf cart was trying to be friendly to our group on friday, but we played it very PC. It is obviously total bullshit, but I hope everyone understands that this is not the guy in charge, so be friendly back. I think people are on the right track to get it changed the proper way, thanks Craw. Some cocky amped up boaters that feel the need to argue are not going to help the scenario.
ryguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #27
river zen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
It is for these very reasons that everyone needs to support the AWA. Craw, everyone is thankful for what your trying to do. Have you contacted anyone at AWA.(Jason Robertson) I have pesonally seen what can happen when boaters try and "work things out" with land owners or other officals. Often it can make things worse. The AWA has been doing this stuff longer then most of us have been alive. Maybe we need to pass this along.
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #28
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw

I hear yeah. I am not trying to carry any torch here. Would rather turn it over, but it's in motion at the moment and once we hear what the Lawyer for the City of Loveland Parks says... then we can go from there. Moses is the guys name, he's a straight up dude and feels we have an honest gripe that he too seems to think needs to looking over. He offered no promises, but said that maybe what would work out best is a time limit to the park? He asked what would be appropriate from our standpoint. I told him max 3 hours and that 2 would probably be fine, but may lead to more problems for people that are picnicing, etc.
He is supposed to get back to me today/tomorrow. Have Jason from AWA email me if he wants to know more.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote