Old 04-25-2009   #21
Metro Area, Colorado
I dislocated my shoulder 4 years ago. It was only our of socket for a few seconds and I didn't have major tearing. I did not get surgery but rehab'd it back. I have a no major problems since, although my range of motion has never been the same since.

My brother dislocated his, but it was out for several hours. Afterwards, his shoulder would pop out from even the slightest of weird movement. He ended up having surgery and is back to almost 100%.

I guess the point is it depends on the severity. Regardless though, w/out surgery your shoulder will never be as strong, and that can create mind games while your sitting in the boat.

Good luck man! These injuries suck

cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #22
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
AC separations are common, and as we've discussed, most grade I-III separations do not result in surgery. However, grade IV-VI separations require surgery due to the involvment of neighboring tissues (ie the clavicle is causing a problem to the surrounding area). It's not the same injury as one that results from dislocating the glenohumeral joint (~torn labrum) or a tear to the supraspinatus tendon (common rotator cuff injury).

If I'm not mistaken, the main reason for surgey in a grade I-III separation is cosmetic, since the illusion of a "hanging shoulder" can bother some people. Or, the patient fails to recover from the injury after therapy and time.

GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009   #23
Hey Nick
I had the same injury several years ago in the half pipe. Trashed my right shoulder, type 3 AC tear. When I saw the first doc about it he said it would probably be ok in the long run, just keep an eye on it. I took up kayaking and boated for 3 seasons on it. Kayaking definitely made it worse. I would get the arthritis type pain, but the worst is that the joint is much more susceptible to injury. When lifting boats it's easy to crank more with your arms and shoulder. I eventually made enough mistakes that the shoulder became a real problem. Went to a new Dr and he gave me more of a long term run down. I would keep making the joint worse in the long run as long as I was doing shoulder intensive stuff. I was also likely for more pain in my later years if I left it untreated. I waited till fall an fixed it then (had awesome insurance so it was a no brainer). It's been about 4 years post surgery and it's pretty good. I had a accident last spring the really aggrivated the shoulder and made me miss lots of boating last summer. As long as I'm on top of my pt it seems pretty good but you always have to watch out on any lifting that is directly on the shoulder from below (like if you help a friend off the ground). The bottom line is that the joint will never be as strong as it was.
PM me if you have more questions.
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #24
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Just to give closure to this thread, I've decided, in the short term, to not have surgery. I saw my third orthopedic doc yesterday, who basically said you've got 2 chances for a successful outcome, and if you jump straight to surgery, you are blowing #1. Surgery is not always successful. There are 15 different surgical techniques, which he says is a pretty good indication that there is no one very good way. (ACLs on the other hand are all pretty much fixed using the same technique.) I'll see how things go. I may go the same path as Shawn, but for now I'm going to give rehab a chance. Shoulder feels weird as heck. I'm so grateful for all the help, particularly Scott, the med student from Georgia, who was kind enough to forward me a couple of medical journal articles on the subject, and Raftus, who offered to meet me and share his experience in more depth. Thanks again to all for sharing your thoughts. Nick
Nickdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #25
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Good luck with your recovery!
GAtoCSU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009   #26
Indian Hills, Colorado

I separated my shoulder, level III in 2001. It was in a sling for about a month, very painful. Since then I've been rock climbing and kayaking with no problems. Visually, my left shoulder is way lower than my right. Is what it is. Range of motion in my left shoulder is somewhat limited. Keep the muscles strong and (in my non professional opinion) you should be fine. Good luck.

DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote