Old 06-02-2009   #11
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
I have had one shoulder rebuilt to awesomeness. The other is starting to go. I find that slowing everything down keeps my shoulder in good order. Always keep your elbow as tight to your body as possible.

CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #12
Davis, California
i would think a c to c would be worse for you shoulder since you have more of a chance to open it up your elbow. with a sweep you are not really relying on that downthrust as much and you can tuck your elbow in and keep your joint protected

Le Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #13
shoulder blues

Hey Blade & Shaft,
Thought I'd weigh in because I've had similar experiences. I don't really have any new info for you but I'll reiterate some important points. I dislocated my shoulder, came back strong with lots of PT and strengthening. Eventually I dislocated a couple more times and ultimately had surgery after which lots more PT and strengthening got me back on the Rio. After my initial dislocation it took a substantial amount of time before I could paddle. That's without surgery, I mean like several months of rehab before my shoulder was back in action. After the surgery it was even longer. I had surgery in March and wasn't paddling again until spring the following year. So almost an entire year of rehab. Here's what I learned: #1 If rolling hurts your shoulder...YOU NEED TO WORK ON YOUR ROLL! Seriously...I mean with professional instruction, not your friends showing you how they think a roll should be done. If you develop a proper, fluid roll either C2C or sweep it shouldn't hurt. #2. See a physical therapist...Again, with some profesional instruction your rehab will be safer and hopefully faster. #3. If your shoulder is really so unstable that a stiff breeze makes it feel like it's going to dislocate, it may be time to see your local orthopedic surgeon.
Good luck!
joggyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009   #14
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
All the responses have been uber-helpful and I definately appreciate everyone's input/ideas. It sounds like I'll be visiting the pool again, dial in that roll even more, and maybe look into some PT and strength training. Thanks again! I'm ready to kick my shoulder in the ass now (or shoulder....)

Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote