Old 05-01-2009   #11
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by jballen1 View Post
Sorry to hear about the shoulder! From my experience, mind you that I am no doctor, you may feel better in 2 weeks, but the ligaments aren't what they used to be. I would avoid paddling that soon if I were you. When I dislocated my shoulder, the hardest thing to do was reaching behind my back. Be careful with that thing and I suggest seeing another doctor and trying to get an MRI!

I saw one of the best shoulder docs around when I did mine. He pretty much nailed it on rehab, pain, time everything. Get a second opinion. I landed on mine and it hurt so bad I thought I had shattered things. I did get xrays. When he found out I didn't have insurance he reccommended against the MRI. He gave me some shot of lydocaine and something steroidal.

Under the local I could do all the movements he asked which told him everything was attached and working. He said if it gets better to do these things ( a set of movements ) in two weeks it is this problem.

If not then you will need surgery and the MRI is a waste of money.

That set of movements did get better. No surgery, no mri and now I am about 99%. I did see a PT for about three months.

Bummber about the trip. Good excuse to get out of carrying heavy shit and drinking and imbibing all the time. Get some good scrips. Lots. Tell hiim how incredibly bad the pain is.

If you really rest this maybe you can guide. With how painful you say it is don't paddle Hells. Think long term. Let this heal.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009   #12
Engineer, Vail
I feel your pain man, I've disloacated both my right shoulder about 4 years ago at the the mwave and my left should last season in my back yard on gore creek. Its true when you tear ligiments they are not repairable without surgery and even with surgery your chances of it happening again are still high. Surgeons are quick to perscribe surgery, and lead people to think that they will stitch you all back up and youll be as good as new.
The best thing you can do if you your shoulder does not require surgey is therapy. Get some rubber bands from Target and make them you new best friend. Ice your shoulder as soon as your done excercing it to keep the swelling down. The muscles in your shoulder will adjust and make up the difference as they get stronger. The added muscle and strength will help to absorb alot of shock. Now that your shoulder is injured you'll have to keep doing this therapy/shoulder exercises for the rest of you boating life if you want to keep it from happening again. The other best thing you can do for yourself is practice good technique.

As far as getting back in shape in two weeks...As soon as the swelling goes down start you rubber band exercises (any therapist will show you some good exercises) and dont do anything that hurts bad. Dont wait to long you dont want the shoulder to attrophy, you want to get those ligiments tightened back up quickly. Ice imimediatly after. If the swelling is gone, heat will increase blood flow to the area and promote healing too. Do it all the time but dont overodo it.

It took me about a year for my shoulders to be 100% again, but I was back in my boat after a few months. Good luck.

kakahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #13
Davis, California
2 weeks is reasonabe if you make sure to not put it in a compromising position when you are rafting.

i dislocated my shoulder playing lacrosse in college after getting driven into astroturf. ran off the field, popped it back in and went back in the game. no pain or anything. the next day it was sore and i had limited range of motion. i would say the soreness/intense pain was gone by two weeks but it still had limited motion without pain if that makes sense.

definitely start working on therapy now. i suggest using the small dumbbells. concentrate on high reps low weight.
Le Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #14
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
I've subluxed my shoulder twice (skiing, both times). First off, it makes you much more susceptible to further sublocation and dislocation. So be careful, take it easy. Second, both times I had full range of motion without pain at about the 2-week mark but didn't feel good about being active and putting weight on it in the full range for about a month. Third, everyone on this forum should pick up a copy of Jim Garrick's "Anybody's Sports Medicine." He's one of the founders of sports medicine in the state and country. He is an awesome guy who knows what he's doing. The book has a set of excellent shoulder rehab exercises (requiring no equipment) to make your shoulder recover symmetrically and thus further reduce the chance of an overly strong muscle causing another injury later on. The book also has good information and suggestions for just about every other sports injury you can get.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #15
You will need at least 3-4 weeks! Get an MRI, x-rays don't tell you much. Listen to your body! If you sit in your car and can't reach the radio button then you shouldn't be on the river. Baby your shoulder now so you will have it in the future!
latouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009   #16
Silverthorne, Colorado
thanks for all the feedback from everybody..

i guess im just gonna rest it up and then rehab the shit out of my shoulder and keep my fingers crossed that i didnt tear anything. rehab rehab and more rehab before the season really kicks off and hopefully i will be able to paddle again without a dislocation always on the back of my mind!
rivermountaingnar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009   #17
Auburn, Alabama
all good info, I've had multiple dislocations and surgery..the only contrary thing i would add is that it can take much less than 6 months..I was almost full strength in 6 weeks

dmunger is offline   Reply With Quote