Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 12-20-2010   #41
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
So is there any problems getting a 13" oar rig down at that flow? I dont have a dry suit so I am thinking about bringing the raft instead!

ecarlson972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010   #42
San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
A 13 foot raft will make work but its going to be grad III technical.

buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010   #43
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

Dude...it is me, long time no chat. Pen says hello. Good news and bad news for ya....good news is that IT'S ME, ok I hope that's good news. Bad news...Pen and I will be out of town visiting parents over New Years, we just confirmed last night. This is of course good news for us but bad news cause we don't get to boat together on 1/1/11. But I got a new boat a few weeks ago, a Med Fluid Solo, and I still have to take it on its first run...any ideas for after New Years weekend?

Have a great Christmas and New Years and lets stay in touch, we still want to meet your family.

L & P.

Originally Posted by LanceDog View Post
Len,Lenny is that you? you know who else is going to be there. See you there buddy, about time I get to paddle with ya. P.S gotta lotta snow up here....HAPPY X-MAS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT.
GearDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010   #44
Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Meet at 12:00 noon at Grizzly Creek (shoshone take out)
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010   #45
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sounds good Peter, I've been chatting with a crew and we hadn't established a time, so I'll go ahead and say high noon at the TO.

Should we start taking about carpool schtuff?

I'm in Boulder and although I am not opposed to driving, my 4 door toyota camry sedan might not like it - but I'll be happy to load her up if need be....we'll just need to leave EARLY-er.

"You know that old trees just grow stronger and old rivers grow wilder, everyday..."
ednaout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010   #46
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
If you happen to have a Monarch season pass you know you get three free days at Sunlight. Not the most exciting place by far, but were staying over on Saturday night to ski it on Sunday. Probably also pay a short visit to Penny Hot Spriings.

I like free.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #47
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Add another to the list of attendees!
I have a mini-me if someone would like to paddle that w me otherwise I hope to bring something small to row.
I am at 720.635.4700
Derrick Rouen-My-Boat
MustacheTheGauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010   #48
I'll see you all at noon for a lap or two! If the forecast is right (high of 19) it'll be fun to see how much ice collects on boats, pfds, etc. I know I collected a fair amount today at ~40F on Numbers.

Likely will ski sunday either at Sunlight or Copper on the way home.

jtnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #49
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by coloradopaddler View Post
you might be able to paddle one down there. i'm not 100% sure either but that would probably be the best way with apparently 860 cfs. i'll try to find out for you.
Jim, are you heading up there? If so, when, and could we carpool?

Eric, Michelle- interested in sharing a paddle boat?
"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010   #50
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I drove through the canyon at 9:00 this morning and I had never seen the river so low. The USGS stations don't show anything dramatic but I wondered if something was up at the dam or if ice was a problem. I wanted to pull off to take pictures but the off ramps were unplowed and looked sketchy. From the highway, China Wall was a boulder field that looked like you could walk across but would not be navigable. At two this afternoon, while coming back through the canyon, I got off at Grizzly and went back up to Shoshone. Everything looked passable and like it has looked every other day. Any ideas? If it was ice, it hasn't been terribly cold but is forecasted to be for the next few days. Anyhow, I attached a photo of the top of China Wall from this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	670.3 KB
ID:	3127  

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote

colorado, new years day, river, shoshone