Old 08-30-2004   #1
Denver, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Shoshone Question?

I am new to kayaking(5 months or so) and I am looking for some information on the Shoshone run on the CO river. I am planning on running it over Labor Day weekend and the flows look fine. I would like to get some feedback from anyone who is familiar with the run to give me an idea of what to expect. I know it is a class III run and it is fairly short. I have run the Frog Rock section of the Arkansas and I wonder if this is comaparable? I am planning on going with a few other solid boaters, but I just want to do my homework before I get in over my head.

Any feedback is appreciated.

allgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #2
I am new to kayaking (1 month), and I have been on Shoshone a couple of times. I like it cause it has a decent volume to it. I completed my first combat rolls on the run (3x). I never cracked my noggin on any rocks, unlike some other places...

The skinny of the run is that it basically has 4 wave trains of decent size.. There are pools at the bottom of each wave train, and this is also appealing to the beginner..

I guess the power plant needs aprox 1200cfs to operate, so it is pretty consistent at this time of year where everything else is low..

Good luck...

bouldrmatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #3
Paddling Since: 1997
I live in glenwood and also guide this strech commercially in the summertime and know this run probably better than i want to or should (running it anywhere from 2-5 times / day). Shoshone is a lot of fun for boaters of all abilities. If you have done frog rock on the ark it shouldn't be a problem. The rapids are all drop and pool so if something happens it is pretty easy to pick up the peices. I have taken plenty of beginners down this run. Like any run there is always the potential for trouble specifically with the last couple of rapids. Tombstone can be a little tricky / tecnical for beginers and the last rapid Maneater has some bigger waves and one big hole on river left. These rapids have millions of different names but they are the last two. As long as you are going with a group of descent boaters, have a descent feel for the boat and bracing and can at least attempt a roll or have hit some in pools or before etc. you should have lots of fun.
asherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004   #4
I am going to be in CO the week of 9/12-18.

Is there a place and time during the week that people tend to meet to make this run?
blue super fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #5
Paddling Since: 1997
Meeting people to boat with there is easy, especially now that it is one of the few class III play runs still running in the state. its only 1.6 miles long with a bike path next to it so shuttle is possible but not necessary. Head to the Grizzly Creek or Shoshone exits and meet whoever is there. PS. there is a large post work crew there just about everyday so enjoy.
asherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004   #6
thanks for the info

blue super fly is offline   Reply With Quote