Mountain Buzz banner

Shoshone New Years Day 2017!

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  PoppyOscar 
#1 ·
It's December, wow! Another great paddling year is almost finished. Time to start thinking about the start of the next season… It always begins on New Years Day with Shoshone. Warm, cold, sun, clouds or pounding snow the crew will be there at high noon ready to paddle! All are welcome.

Bring your warm gear, dry suits, gloves & pogies, skull caps and wool socks.

Who is going to make it this year?

Lets plan to paddle at 12:00 noon at Grizzly Creek (maybe arrive a little early to get changed and load boats) and be leaving the parking lot for the first Shoshone lap ASAP. If you have a shuttle driver bring them along. We often do multiple laps!

Here is a Facebook page to share stoke, carpools, clothing questions and above all pictures from this year and past years. https://www.facebook.com/ShoshoneNYD

#3 ·
Peter, I think its awesome that you travel the country in an RV and still pick Sho Sho to start off the new year!

I personally find it hard to justify the drive to paddle this short section even when it's warm out.

I get the allure of starting the year off with a paddle, but between temps and ski traffic, I've always passed.

Hopefully Hojo will rally and take Riley again, as he won't want to miss it!

I am bet Abbey is ready to fire it up this year.

Have a great time.

#5 ·
Day after tomorrow is the first day of the next paddling season. I hope you all can join what is looking like one of the best Shoshone New Years Day's so far. Lots of paddlers from all over the state and beyond will be making the pilgrimage to start 2017 on the river, as it should be. It also looks to be a balmy 38 with a little snow shower or two.

Jackson Kayak will have some demo boats available including the new Antix in large and medium sizes. JK will also be serving homemade chili at the take out. Also Colorado Whitewater Association will be serving hot chocolate at the take out too.Bring a puffy jacket to hang out after your runs and catch up with all your cold water loving friends.

If you are new to Shoshone NYD here is an article I wrote with some winter paddling tips to keeping warm and happy on the river.
Colorado Whitewater - Lessons from an Ice Boofer

Mountain Buzz is a great resource for asking questions and planning shared rides and what ever else concerning Shoshone NYD. Also see the #shoshoneNYD Facebook page. This has more past years photos and videos.
https://www.facebook.com/ShoshoneNYD/

Bust out the drysuit, thick gloves and get ready to ring the new year in with some of the most inspired paddlers in Colorado. It's always fun on the icy waters of the Colorado. We will meet at Grizzly Creek at high noon and get on the river ASAP. See you soon!

#7 ·
I ended 2016 the same way it started, paddling Shoshone.

It's been warm so there is a little snow and ice but no major ice shelfs or unusual hazards. It was almost 40 degrees today, The water is cold but with the warm air temps and sun it felt much warmer. I was hot and over dressed.

Tomorrow should be similar with a chance of a little snow shower here and there.
All is all a very nice New Years Day for paddling. See you all tomorrow at high noon at the Grizzly Creek boat ramp.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.