Old 01-30-2011   #1
Paddling Since: 96
short Numbers TR

Paddled #4 to #7 early Sat. afternoon with Lance and Eric. Met Lance through the Buzz. Clear sky, mid 40s, light wind, 250ish CFS. Ice was mostly blown out but was a factor in some spots. Managed to trip on a rock I know well and have to roll early on but roll was quick enough to avoid the ice cream headache. #7 with its big boulder garden still held 18" thick ice on the banks and some lines were blocked. Managed to be able to break it down and find a route through but definitely a zone requiring good control. Really fun run with new friends. Thanks guys.

Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011   #2
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for guiding the lines Phil, would love to meet up again sometime. I think everybody knows Phil loves the low water action so here is my take. This was my first paddle in mid winter and first on numbers below 600.

Totally worth it, and really fun. Weather was plenty warm, water wasn't much colder than spring runoff in Summit County. I was in a drysuit and dressed for it, but ended up taking off the neo hood halfway through due to overheating. Definitely worth the drive from Breck, about 1.25hrs. Lines were harder than #s @ 600-1000cfs. Not really that bony, just really tight and only one workable choice in many spots. #5 was well worth scouting. Was glad to let Phil lead, even though I would normally run numbers without much thought. Bring your big boat for sure, plenty of pin spots. Not much surf anyway. I said to Phil at the end that if you didn't know this section ever got more water you'd look at it and think "let's do it".

I'll be going back the next warm day we have. The more the merrier so join up for next time. Just be sure you aren't a swim risk, self rescue amongst the ice is basically impossible.

eklars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011   #3
One thing to keep in mind is that its not just warm temps that make that section accessible this time of year. The fluctuating water levels are what opened it up. My guess is that most of the freeze up happened at below 200 CFS and then the rio saw 300 a couple different times blowing the ice out. The weather report is for some hard cold coming up, she'll probably lock up again. Looking forward to the next window, Eric.
Old 01-31-2011   #4
Should have included that we saw an Eagle (Golden?) and a large school of trout, 25 to 50? fish, 6 to 8"? long in a sunny pool.