Old 04-14-2015   #11
Portland, Oregon
The Dagger Mamba is a great first boat. The outfitting is easy to adjust and comfortable. It is a pretty common boat, stable, easy to roll. Great for learning and progressing with (there are people going pretty big in them). Not sure if other kayaks schools use them but I know Sundance Kayak School uses them a bunch.

m.r.h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015   #12
Morrison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
That sucks about the shiva Leprechaun. Someone got an awesome deal!

I still think you should be considering a more dynamic river running boat like the Pyrahna Burn or a similar style boat like the Jackson Zen or Karma. Other good river runners to start out with are the Wavesport Diesel, Liquid Logic Remix, or Dagger Mamba.

Read online reviews about these boats and review the specs. It's best to get what you really need vs. what is cheapest and closest. It might cost a little more if you can't find a used boat but would be well worth the investment if your planning to paddle long term.

sross78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015   #13
Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Look for a Burn or Shiva

Pyranha Shiva and Burn are super great boats. They're stouter than anything I have paddled except maybe my old Dagger Gradient. I have a large Shiva and it is sweet.

The problems I had with the 1st and 2nd gen JK Hero line is the plastic. It is soft and thin. They tend to oil can and crack.

Just my opinion based upon what I have encountered...
And the Lord said, let there be whitewater. So on Friday, the 13th day of the month....
mvhyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015   #14
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2014
A Karma has come up fairly close... May take the plunge... Was focusing on price but trying to remind myself my other kayaks have brought me many years of enjoyment for that initial investment... buy once cry once I guess!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Leprechaun is offline   Reply With Quote