Old 06-07-2007   #1
Shameless Plug

Every now and then it occurs to me that a certain number of folks on this board don't understand that GCPBA is a lot more than just guys like me posting on the Internet. We are a full-fledged, member-supported, organization that relies on folks from all over the country who join and pay dues.

GCPBA directly represents private boaters from across the country (and indeed around the world) who want to be sure their access to the Grand Canyon is sustained, and their experience in the Canyon is enhanced in important ways. And indeed, our constituency is all private boaters -- whether they are GCPBA members or not.

Even though GCPBA is a volunteer organization -- and Board members absorb a great deal of its operational costs from their own pockets -- GCPBA still needs your financial support for things such as:

* Travel expenses for Board members to attend various meetings, including face-to-face sessions with Park officials that ensure your interests get direct attention.

* Legal expenses associated with litigation, such as the lawsuit that got the Colorado River Management Plan process started again, as well as defending the CRMP in litigation now under way.

* Special projects the Board would like to undertake -- like jointly (with GCRG) publishing the GC Courtesy Guide.

* Constituent services, such as providing copies of the NPS GC orientation video.

* A variety of administrative costs.

Membership dues are the core source of funding for GCPBA. If you are not a member, but benefit from GCPBA activities listed above (and many others), please consider joining. You can do so at Grand Canyon Private Boaters Association. by clicking on "Join". And if you're not a "joiner", then please consider a donation to help GCPBA continue its good work. Either way, you can directly help support active, ongoing private boater representation on Grand Canyon issues.

So in the timeless words of the ever-popular and always-wise Caspian, "Join up suckas!!"

Rich Phillips

richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #2
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Don't know much about popularity or and definitely less about wisdom, but I probably ought to join the GCPBA. I've read enough of your stuff and what you guys do - and you are the primary boater's - ahem...real boaters' (read: private boaters) lobby for GC access/floating rights, soon as I find a new job, I'll join up.

RRFW also lobbies hard for equal rights for private boaters, and I support that, but I'm not super keen on the dogmatic stance they seem to take in legal posturing. But then again, I launched on the last day of motor season, so I didn't really have to listen with motors on my Canyon trip, other than the trout research teams here and there.
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote