Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-28-2006   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Sevylor Sevytex River XK1 Inflatable Kayak Question

Anybody ever seen or used one of these? I am looking for an IK for my mom (59yrs old) to do easy float trips, and class II-II+ water. I took her down the colorado from below shoshone to glenwood and she loved it. I know that the NRS mavericks are good IKs, but I would rather not shell out that much cash if I didn't have to. Any thouhts on these guys? I would think that she would use this on stuff like filter plant on the poudre, deckers, colorado below shoshone, etc. I found this guy on REI, I have some cash for the dividend to help out with the purchase if this is a good boat for this purpose.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #2
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
My mother in law (65ish) has a Stearns that she paddels on the little rivers around her house in MN. It's sort of cool, it is a self bailer and has a deck that covers her legs. I've rolled it but it's pretty hard to do because the bottom is soft. She's had it for a while and never mentioned any problems. It's made out of some kind of pack cloth material. It seems like it would be fairly cheap.

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995

If you're going to throw down $500 for a ducky, you may want to spend $600 - $700 for a much better one. I've got a Sevylor RiverX and am not very impressed with it. Its kind of like an expensive pool toy that brings to mind the saying "there's the right way, the wrong way, and the French way."

The specs on this model, however indicate that they may have upgraded some aspects of their boat. If its got a drop stitch floor that holds 7 psi and the valves are good then that would be a great improvement over the old RiverX that I've got. If you want to meet at REI and check out one together (if they've got one in stock) I'd be glad to do that after work some day.

Downriver Equipment may have one in stock for inspection also.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Yeah, I was worried about it being a bit rinky dink. Its not like my mom is going to go crazy in it, but I am worried about stability (its several inches less width than the NRS IK's), and its ability to stand up to rocks. Not sure if the material is good enough to hold up to th rocks that inevitably come with paddling any kind of whitwater.

Andy, REI has all their paddling gear put up for the winter, but I will check it out this spring if they have one. Thanks for the info!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #5
Raft Guide
RMA has some used duckies (Hyside and Vanguard); they are top quality and will last a lifetime.

rubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #6
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I too would reccomend a good used one over a chintsy new one. Then you could let more adventurous friends use it on real water too.

Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #7
I've got a 3 year old XK1. It seems pretty good for smaller, lighter people, say 120-160 lbs. My son bashes it on rocks quite a bit and I've never had a problem with it. It does seem a bit on the cheap, but it's held up. One concern I have with it is that the water doesn't drain very quickly from it. Something I like about it is that it is stable and maneuverable. Some other IK's are too wide and a pain to paddle.

I think I got mine for $350. For $500, I'd probably try to buy something more upscale. Check out the good comments at http://www.theboatpeople.com/iks.html
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #8
Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Wow, basil, do you know "The Boat People?" 15 years ago we used to rent their rafts and gear...my mother eventually bought an Incept 14' from them (which, incidently, my be my graduation gift). At that time they were operating from their garage. Looks like they've stepped it up some. Anyway, thank's for bringing up the memories.
"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)
earthNRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006   #9
Eureka, California
Paddling Since: 1992
I have an older Sevylor XK1 and, *for what you want it for, it would be great, as long as the paddler is 180 or less and doesn't have a big butt or really wide hips -- and the newer K1 XDS model is built with superior valves and floor, and I can see that the self-bailing gaps they added could help that problem somewhat.

BUT for Class II or easier III, the older red XK1 can definitely be found for under $400 new on the web (I got mine for $200 used but lucked out), it's valves are very cheap/easy/fast to replace and adequate, it performs suprisingly fun and forgivingly, it's wetter and funner on the small stuff than bigger IKs, and it's plenty tough.

IF your paddler is bigger/heavier, maybe go with the Aire Tomcat (but careful to never overinflate becasue of outer seams), or the very lightweight but tough and high-perf NRS Bandit 1, or a used high-quality IK (Aire Lynx, NRS Maverick, Wing are sweet ones).

OR, if it's only for occasional
use and you really want/need to save money:
(View Video and Shopping)

PS: On the XK1, don't put the seat back too far and a broad-bladed 220cm paddle would be about right for most people, I think.
shaunotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006   #10
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
nice to see someone knows about OTT... As a former guide for Orange Torpedo Trips, I can attest to their Sevylor IK's as being outstanding in their field (similar to the cattle you see on the way to the put in).

Kidding aside, for lazy floating, and getting pure novices paddling, the inexpensive (under $200 spankin' new) K79SB's are sweet. Check out www.orangetorpedo.com and watch the video. I paddled the Grand Canyon, yes, the big ditch, as a guide in one. Only three swims and some spectacular air (3 times rerun) on the 5th wave at Hermit. Launched completely out of the water.

So don't knock 'em, watch 'em plug up the Rogue all summer long, and get a sunburn on yer ankles in one.

They make great beds in camp at nite, too.

Can anyone say they've slept in their kayak?

tyaker is offline   Reply With Quote