Old 08-05-2005   #11
as if you didn't need more advice...

i'd get a cheap paddle, but i wouldn't skimp on drytop or PFD. i'm still tooling around in my "nice" paddle jacket, really wishing i had a drytop. was pretty cold early this season, but you could certainly get alot of late season boating in with no drytop. if you're far enough along to know that you'll be paddling till you're old, you might want to go ahead and get the rescue vest - seems like most of the dudes who are really into it are wearing one. learn how to use it though.

Steve Kahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #12
The shred is a great starter paddle. I use one my first 1-1/2 seasons. Now I keep it in my truck as a spare for those friends who forget theirs.
I paddled for a bit in a wetsuit, It will work but it is not as warm as a drytop and I was always wet. With my Drytop, I paddled in a spring snowstorm at dusk. I was warm and dry even after several rolls in icy water - Lesson learned - don't paddle in the dark. Make sure your vest is paddle rated not just a recreational PFD and as everyone else said be sure it fits, One moer thing invest $1.99 for a sharpie. Write your name and phone on everything. Most boaters will return found river schwag if it has the owners name on it. And your new river friends wont walk off with your stuff at the end of the day because it looks just like theirs.

lennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #13
just make sure (even if you find a great deal on one), not to buy a waterstick.....
Kayaker_SkierCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #14
newbie, what part of the southeast are you from?

jpk1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005   #15
Engineering Student
thanks all for the advice.
I did end up ordering the Aqua-bound shred paddle from REI - not here yet so don't really know how it will work. and i also picked up an Astral Norge PFD from the MTN shop - it is amazing. Astral vests are like the cadilacs of vests (so far in my opinion) that Kapok stuff feels like you are wearing a down pillow for a PFD!

another question, though - is the filter plant run an OK choice for very first run on the Poudre? I plan on going with a raft guid friend of mine who is running safety for me and another friend.

justinlk is offline   Reply With Quote