Old 03-05-2013   #1
vancouver, Washington
settin up a cataraft with paddlers

i would like to set up my cataraft to have a couple of paddlers. (so they can have something to do). The best idea i have is for me to be rowing in the back, and have the paddlers up front, sitting on the tubes with their feet hooked into some foot cups or straps on the floor of the cargo module, which is plywood. if anyone has tried this, or has better suggestions, let me know.

commanderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #2
Belfair, Washington
Paddling Since: 1995
paddlers in catboats

A little story... About 10 yrs ago I was up front in a cataboat, one of two paddlers helping the oarsman run the narrowest chute on the Rogue at Rainey Falls. I had paddle in hand, legs braced against cat tube, feet planted well. Although I was well-braced for hits from several directions, I realized too late that I had nothing to keep me from falling forward through the middle (in front of the floor, between the tubes). In a raft it wouldn't have been a problem. As it was, I spent several long seconds under the catboat in a very shallow section of the chute. Scary.

So, be careful about posting paddlers up front on the catboat. If they are just passengers, they can grab handles or straps or whatever to stop a fall. But if they have paddles in their hands, while the tubes stop them from falling outward, but there is no floor/front tube to stop a fall into the middle front like there would be in a raft.

wildsoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #3
Lardo, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
like this
When you spend your life in the rain, you learn to walk between the drops.
6FEETandRISING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #4
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
As 6FEET's picture shows, your passengers are better off with both legs in.

In gutter talk - They'll get a better stroke if they aren't straddling the tube.
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #5
vancouver, Washington
that's a rad picture. looks like they have footcups glued to the fabric floor. i need to figure out a way to do that with the plywood floor. probably have to custom make something. as for people being launched foreward into the middle, i dont know what i can do to avoid that. maybe put a safety net up front to catch 'em.
commanderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013   #6
four corners, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2003
I have a cat frame with plywood floors. I put footcups (four grommets)(1 in each corner) on the plywood by drilling holes in the floor and lacing them in with webbing. Worked great. Paint the holes with polyurethane.

On another frame I put a foot bar for paddlers to brace against (inside and outside of tubes). I have mounted seats to a deck board and then mounted the deck board to my NRS crossbars.

I will try to take some pics of my frames.
bshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013   #7
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post

In gutter talk - They'll get a better stroke if they aren't straddling the tube.
I don't know how correct that is. I've always found they get a fine stroke straddling the tube. Harder if they have both legs on one side.*blink*

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote