Old 07-20-2011   #1
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 70s
Selway Aug 5 flow crystal ball??

any guesses re the upper Selway flow getting into August this year.....the earliest we could put on would be Aug 5th (essentially two weeks away)because of schedule/life......I have been on it three years ago with the bigger flows (Aug 1st), and though the upper miles were failry boney/rock gardens it was still a magical trip and lucky to get on the river at all.....probably would be doing it in 14' foot round boat and 14' cat (with camping gear to make a four day trip probably).....I know that the road/bridge is suppossed to be closed/worked on Monday Aug 8............................thanks, Chet

CROE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #2
Selway Aug 5 flow crystal ball??

Crowded? Sorry, but this is the first year in a while with good post permit flows. There is some road work later that will force most post permit runs into a few days.

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #3
idaho falls, Idaho
Called the ranger office today. Said they have been getting a lot of calls and are expecting ~10-15 launches each day that weekend. Gonna be crazy. I'm hoping for 1.3 ft at paradise.
whee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Just got back from a 6 day trip on the Selway, it was incredible. By far the most scenic and exciting river I have ever been down. Didn't see a single other person on the river other than a trail crew camping at Upper Pinchot. Going to be nuts the first few weeks of August this year but if I had the time off I would be there August 1st too. Water is dropping fast, when we put on July 13 it was 3.8 at Paradise and was already down to 3.0 on July 18. Got an inch and a half of rain our first night and flow bumped up to 4.4 but was back down to 3.8 the following day and had cleared in 24 hours. Goat Creek and Ham were pretty exciting at that flow though! There is a tree in the far right chute in Ladle, doubt you will be over there though at your flows. Also another tree bridging the midstream boulder at Little Niagara. Wish I were back there!
wagonblast is offline   Reply With Quote