Old 04-02-2013   #1
North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Self Support Methods

So my goal this summer is to do some self support trips. I have a few things that I'd like to learn about to get good at it. My wife and I have solo tributary tomcat duckies.

1. Cooking- the group will be small, likely 2 of us to start out. Small backpacking stove? Meals that are easy and can be prepared using the small stove?

2. Groover- I was going to buy some 2" or maybe 4" pvc cut it into 1' sections and the glue a cap on one end. Then glue a coupling with some threads on the other end so you unscrew a lid kinda like a clean out access cap. Give one to each person. Maybe use a wag bag then stuff it in the pvc. Is this what others use? I know I will call each run's admin and ask before going. This is washable/leak proof.

3. Fire pan- If regs require one- Small metal oil pan in dry bag? I have welder access so maybe a little homemade pan that meets lip and minimum size requirements. A big thrift store pan? Dont always need/want a fire.

Anything else- Water filter. I will unpack what food I can prior to trip to reduce trash.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #2
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
A lot of these specifics depend on what difficulty of river, what length, and what regulations apply.

1. I like to keep my kitchen simple, backpacking stove, etc. For easy overnighters you can pack as much kitchen equipment as you can fit on your inflatable....cooler space will be an issue.

2. 2 or 4" pvc will work just fine, but certain rivers (like the Grand) require a 6" tube. Otherwise the gluing of the threads and carrying wag bags is how most ss "groove".

3. There are different methods for firepans. There is some excellent information for self supporting and building your own firepan on this website: Self Support Kayak Camping

as well as more excellent information on this site:
Earthen Exposure: self-support kayaking

GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #3
Gresham, Oregon
Paddling Since: N/a
1) fancy feast stove! That's about all I can contribute to this, I had to look up what a grooved was, lol.
NitroPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #4
North Denver, Colorado
Thanks for the info and links! I am planning class II easy III with 7ish days being what we work up to after a few shorter trips. Like to be ready for a late summer Yampa type trip maybe SJ. Have done some whitewater in the ducky, browns, blue, eagle, foxton but for the multidays just looking for mellow float for now.
Old 04-02-2013   #5
Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Solo Tomcat, you probably want to go backpacker style.

Find a SS serving pan from the thrift store and use that for your firepan. If it's SS, you don't have to keep it in a drybag. Drill a couple holes for a wire loop so you can get a strap through it, or cut a strap slot in the side.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #6
North Denver, Colorado
Yea after a few trips I'll have more of an idea what to leave/take. I've seen some big pans at the thrift, I can strap the pan to the outside of the dry bag. I figure I can get everything into 2 dry bags maybe another little day bag. Gonna practice rig/pack at home then go float ph or something soon.
Old 04-02-2013   #7
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #8
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Actually, you'll have quite a bit of room between the two of you. But packing light and small can be nice.

Anyway, I just picked up this bbq grill to use as a fire pan from Jax for about $25. (I know this link says 50+, but really, it was closer to $25). It wont work on all trips, but will on most. It's light and collapses down. Camerons Products Charcoal Grills | Cooking and Tableware

We really love using our duckies. Light enough and convenient enough to portage around rapids you don't want to run, but roomy enough to do week long trips. Have fun!!
suzpollon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013   #9
North Denver, Colorado
Yes I like the idea of doing trips in the fall shoulder season when water is low less people out and portage anything you dont want to run. After rigging my boat and trailer running in the ducky is an awesome change.
Old 04-02-2013   #10
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
1) Get yourself some quality dry bags. I would recommend getting a few Watershed dry bags. IMO a few smaller bags are better than one or two large bags. You can find Watershed dry bags online for a pretty good price sometimes. Check Watershed Bags - for usually at least 20% off.

2) Easy camp setup works well. I brought a jetboil stove and a small titanium pot for all the cooking. It's tricky to cook with the jetboil but it does boil water fast and doesn't use much fuel. Use the pot for cooking and the cup that comes with it for boiling water or making coffee. The large canister, I think it was 10oz, lasted me for a 9 days self support in the winter.

3) Fire pan and Groover, look at that website that lmeyers provided. There is good tips in there. I would recommend making a groover about the same as those guys did. It will give you enough room to be legal for a 12 day Grand Canyon trip. GC has the strictest rules regarding the groover and they do check prior to putting on. While the GC rules don't require you to use 6" PVC, I used 6" and it worked well. In the GC, you're required to have a certain amount of volume for you groover for it to be legal in the GC. I would use WAG bags on smaller trips if they are approved. The link has a table with the calculations of different sized pipe diameters and volume. Make the firepan so that's its easy to split up amongst the team. Self Support Kayak Camping

4) Keep your sleeping bag and warm clothes in Watershed bags!

5) Have fun!

coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote