Old 09-30-2013   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
sedimentation at Pineview gauge?

Anybody else think the 1.8 ' on the rock felt like a little less water than previous correlations might suggest?

I wonder if the flood dropped enough sediment in that pool to raise how the rock reads.

Riley Fired up Pineview for his first time. Twice. pretty stoked.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #2
Gnarrows seemed about the same to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if the more we get out there the more little changes we start seeing.

paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #3
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I think the sediment would have to be exactly in line with the gauge...I don't think sediment in pool immediately after would have very much affect. That being said, we hit it Saturday at 1.8-1.9ish and I thought that was pretty on the money. The highest I had run it before was 1.5-1.6 back in late July, and I thought the last drop/slide on Saturday definitely looked a bit bigger than when I ran it at 1.5. As I got in front of it I actually thought to myself "damn this thing is bigger than I've ever run it". So at 1.8 or 1.9 Saturday it was definitely bigger than 1.5-1.6 in July.

We were the big group who ran into you above pineview. Your son killed it! There were several comments about how awesome he did for a young paddler.
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Didn't paddle the poudre to know, but changes in the river channel either from scouring or sedimentation will definitely change the correlation between flow and river stage (gauge height). This is why they are always updating the gauges. Wouldn't surprise me to see the rock gauge drifting over the years vs. actual flow, especially with some high water moving things around in the last couple of years.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #5
I paddled the narrows a few times this week at 2.2', 1.9', and 1.8' and it all seemed to be spot on. It will probably be easier to tell when it comes down a bit. For my money, middle narrows is good to go in the 1.25'-1.3' range and significantly less good at 1.1'-1.2' - as the river drops I'll see if this holds true.

The real test will be next year when the river comes up if "3 foot rock" and "4 foot rock" are covered at the right times.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
I think you would likely see the most significant changes to the pinview rock gage from adjustments to the entrance of pineview rapid as it begins to drop off downstream of it. If there was a lot of deposition or further constriction of flow entering the rapid you could expect to see a higher water level upstream where the rock is at the same discharge before the recent storm.

bdf48 is offline   Reply With Quote