Old 09-17-2005   #21
ski/kayak bum
those records are by people who have huge lung capacity, can slow their heart rate on command, and who are almost to the point of full oxygen capacity that their blood can handle before they go under. and if you hold your breath to the point of blackout, then you've got a major problem because your already losing brain how long can a kayaker who is in full go mode with adrenaline pumping, a high heart rate, just after a safety meeting, and who is being held upside down hold it....not two minutes.....

double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #22
San Diego and Frisco, CO
Lots of good advice previously and here is some from a girl.
Playboat, playboat, playboat (even stern squirts, which believe it or not will teach you more about edge control than you ever wanted to learn!)
Try a different boat. Yup, some are easier than others. Might boost your confidence.
Get de-bugged by the person in your 'hood who does a ton of rolling teaching. I watched a girlfriend on her second season go from 50% rolling to nearly 90% combat rolling after ONE pool session with our local guru. Keep in mind that was after lots of informal coaching from me (10+ years boating), boyfriend (10+ years), kayak school in New Zealand, etc.
You don't need a session with EJ or anything, but just someone who really has some experience.

Oh yeah, not sure if this is an option. So ocean surfing. It is such a pain the ass to drag a water-logged kayak back to the shore that you tend to learn to hang in! And you are over all the time. Fly over and visit in San Diego, we surf all winter.

Kimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #23
Sounds to me like some boaters out there need to work on lung volume, breath holding and relaxation skills, along with rolling methods.
"I just stood there and watched the whole thing happen!!!"
Swim team capt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #24
Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
No way you can be upside down in your boat for 2 minutes. Your smoking crack.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #25
What helped me get my river roll was to practice in the river - there are lot's of people who have great pool rolls because they practice in the pool.
Everytime you go to the river knock off a dozen on both sides in an eddy or a calm stretch of water - then bingo - you have a river roll.
For a good offside roll - go back to the pool and have someone walk you through it like you did with the other side - once you have muscle memory - stop thinking about on and off side - and just do the one that works. In other words stop thinking so much!!!
And I agree - Play - Play - Play - til you trancend you self-awareness and start feeling like a river otter!
That's what it is really about!
steambabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #26
No where did I say anything about being upside down in your boat for 2 min.
"Most Humans can hold their breath for at least 2 min."
Was what was written in reference to the fact that most new boaters when working on their roll pull their skirt sooner than they need to thinking they need to get out to breathe.

No where was it in reference to being eaten by a class 5 hole or even a class 3.
Most of the new boaters I work with pull the skirt after one missed roll.

But as usual people here take things way out of the context it was written.

I made just short of 2min at Golden the other day and would have made it if some well meaning boater wouldn't have rammed into me thinking I needed a T.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #27
Spits Hot Fire
N. Cascades, Washington
no no, you wanna roll top-wise, top-wise!

And dont get too chorted before you swim, I think it decreases lung volume...or somethin.

And one more thing, newby, your a post counter.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #28
Raft Guide
When I was an ankle- biting brat (2- 3 yrs old?) I was capable of holding my breath until blackout. I only remember doing it once-- A feeling of euphoria swept over me as the lights went out... then I woke up in the bathtub, my father dousing me with cold water. I never did it again.

I don tink I had no dain bramage, do.
rubberducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #29
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
Practice, practice, practice - ala Stalovich. Do at least 10 rolls on every run if you want a better roll. Also get some ear plugs if you value your hearing in CO.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2005   #30
Boulder, Colorado
it took me 5 years to get my pool roll, and 7 to get my combat roll. I was in the same boat as you, newby. Until this year, I rarely needed to roll because I have a strong brace and I'm good at reading the water so I rarely flipped over. When I did flip, I swam.

This year I made it my goal to get the dang combat roll once and for all. It's all mental! I told everyone I paddled with that i would try my roll at least twice and then go for a T rescue before swimming. The more people I told, the more I felt I had to commit myself to that promise. I intentionally flipped myself over in eddies, on eddy lines, in wavetrains, and more. I just made sure it was deep enough that I knew I wouldn't hurt myself. The only way to get over the mental factor of rolling in a river is to intentionally do roll practice in the river. I would take FOREVER to set up, being sure I was completely flat and I could feel my knuckles on the top of the water before I did my hip snap. (I do a c to c with a sweep at the end- a combination of the c to c and sweep rolls, by the way)

The way my combat roll finally happened is that I intentionally flipped myself over on Deckers and found myself plastered to the back deck because the water was no more than a foot deep. I dropped my paddle and hip snapped off of the bottom, picked up the paddle, and kept going. The rest is history!

No, if you have a pool roll you don't need to go back to the pool. Every time I go in the river I do roll practice.

Then once you have your set-up roll in the river, I totally agree with everyone who said that playing is the way to go. I found myself trying to get onto harder waves and into bigger holes with the full intention of flipping eventually and getting roll practice. I'm at about 90% now, sometimes having streaks where my roll is 100%!

I hope that helps! good luck!

Camiona is offline   Reply With Quote