Old 09-16-2005   #11
My suggestions would be:

1) Go back to the pool repeatedly for rolling practice and do lots and lots of rolls. I don't think it matters as much which type of roll you do as that you stick with the same type each time. The goal is to have your roll become second nature so that you don't have to think about it. Don't get back on the river until you feel your roll is strong in the pool.

2) When you get back on the river, do the same thing. Roll repeatedly, in edddies and in the current...but don't think about it. Just do it.

3) If you are still continue having trouble, hire an instructor to help you figure out what the issue is.

4) Consider changing boats. Some boats are easer to roll than others.

5) Buy an inflatable kayak or a sit on top (just kidding).

RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #12
Wydaho, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1996
Lots of good advice from people above. Here is my 2 cents...

Playboat, alot. Stern squirt every eddy line, wave wheel every wave train, play in holes, surf waves, rock splat. You will flip over. Playboating gives you the opportunity to be upside down in every river environment and practice your roll.

When you are thinking about swimming, try to remember that 99% of the time you are better off in your boat....and try rolling one more time....even when you are bouncing your head/back/shoulders off rocks (big mental part of the game here).

At some point, try working on an off-side roll. Most boaters (including me) have a dominant roll side, but there are those situations when that side is not an option (pinned on a rock, in a hole, your boating partner got too close, broke a paddle....) and its good to have another option.

Be willing to hang out while upside down (use a nose plug if you don't use one). Sometimes you may have to wait for funky river currents to let up.

Good luck getting that bomber, count-on-it-when-you-need it roll!

dvanhouten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #13
Like the other folks said - playboat, playboat, playboat

First of all, make sure you are using proper technique - a friend, someone in the eddy, or a video will help you out here. I hear good things about EJ's rolling video.

Then, like two or three others recommended, get out there on a nice deep play spot with nothing of consequence behind it (i.e. no rapids downstream and no rocks) and paddle your brains out. If you swim, you can self-rescue, carry back up and work on it some more. Eventually, your roll will become second nature and you'll be able to right yourself without even thinking about the set up; you'll just kind of feel the pressure on your paddle blade.

Bong_Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #14
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I'm having problems too... EJ's video is great, and for me the more I can watch and visualize, the better I can try to emulate in the water.

There are actually 2 vids, one is rolling and bracing, that's the one I have, and it actually has exercises and drills for bombproofing an existing roll. There is a second one that is just called "bombproofing your roll". I haven't seen that one yet.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #15
Watch EJ's "Rolling and Bracing" video it is better than "Bombproofing your Roll"

Leaning back alittle while when doing a sweep roll is the key, your not laying on the back of the deck like a true backdeck roll so don't worry about being exposed and you will come up faster.
Keep the edge of your paddle blade up, not flat so you have a lift on the blade.
Keep your eyes on the water and your paddle blade as it sweeps around, that makes you keep your head down.

Most Humans can hold their breath for at least 2 min. and most paddlers pull the skirt in the first 30 sec.
As was said stay in your boat and just bump your head on the bottom for awhile to get used to that feeling.
Wait a few seconds till the boat drifts down current.

Some thing else to try is go to a shallow spot 12-18in deeper than your boat and work on the machinics of the roll, there you can still breath or just be able to lift your self up while working on setting up and rolling up.

Lastly remember snap those hips and keep your head down.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #16
oh yeah
another thought (only because it hasn't been mentioned). learn a back-deck roll! when i flip to the left i do a back-deck roll. and when i flip to the right i believe i back deck first (both of these are on-side back-deck rolls) and if that fails i revert to a c-c roll. if this sounds like too much info ignore it. if not check out this link for a visual of a back-deck roll. and for those that say it's not for creeking, you're missing out! (these can be glitchy, but be patient they seem to load eventually)
danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005   #17
For me, probably the biggest help to having a bomber off and on-side roll, outside of going to every pool session available, has been playboating. When you playboat you learn to roll in every position and it makes the roll reflexive, rather than something that thought over. I recommend trying to playboat, or attempt playboating moves in order to practice rolling in every postion/situation possible.

If you find yourself missing your roll more times than not when doing these things, it is always recommended to go back to the basics.

Filling your boat with water and rolling that way also gives you a slow motion feel to your roll. This way you can perfect your technique while in a slower environment. good luck. peace

huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #18

Most Humans can hold their breath for at least 2 min.quote

You sure about that?
sundown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #19
Truth be told If I were to put nose plugs on you and duct tape over your mouth most people can go to about 3 min before blackout happens.

It is the panic factor that makes it to where you think you have to take a breath, your pulse rate increases and the blood o2 drops, the CO2 build up normaly happens around 3-5 min on the average.

The current mens breath hold record is 8'58'' and womens is 7'16''

My personal was 4'15'' back in the day.
Don't do anything, just stand there.
rasdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005   #20
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I can hold for about 10 seconds.

WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote