Mountain Buzz banner

Secret Southwest Stash- Whitewater Classics

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  keel 
#1 ·
Anybody know where the "Secret SW stash" pic from the opening pages of Whitewater Classics is from? The boat in the pic is an Embudo. So it is a fairly recent descent.
Anyone know Tyler Williams E-mail?

Also in the Vallecito write up, he writes about the 1st descent from Silverton down thru the gorge. Has anyone done the 2nd? Sounds like a commiting 3day.

Steve.

#2 ·
Steve,
The secret stash is a very sensitive run to the Arizona boating community and therefore should not be posted on this site. I emailed you the spot. Pray for rain in AZ.
Evan
p.s. don't know about teh upper vallecito but I'm willing to check it out. It may be more "runnable" then previously described.

#3 ·
Just out of curiosity why is it so sensitive? Access, localism etc...?? Not to put the burden of answering to that on you, I'm just wondering. Its cool and all to have stashes but its doesn't seem like there are that many paddlers that would be able to just jet over there on the rare occasions and short windows that AZ creeks run (which would eliminate the worries of overcrowding). On the other hand, it looks like a beautifull run and if it is at all predictable many CO/UT/AZ/NM/WY creekers might want to show up there for some early season fun.

One general question- I think I know which creek it is-could you inform on when/how often/predictibly (IE:every year, flood years, very occasionall) 'SW stash' runs? Again just curious...happy 2006.

-cm

#5 ·
Badkins is correct and he wins the chance to possibly boat this amazing stretch. Again sensitive issue so please do not post anything else on this forum and instead use the private messaging function to discuss.
Thanks,
Evan

#6 ·
I wouldn't worry too much- there are very few boaters committed enough to risk huge fines, gear confiscation and possible imprisonment in a Tribal jail in order to bag a run. That being said, let's consider the subject dropped.

Sward- planning a SE or Cali trip this year?

#7 ·
Probably not in the cards unless it is quick. GC in September.
How about Montana. Big Wood looks sick.

Steve.

#8 ·
Big Wood is sick, and Steve, I'm down for the Silverton put-in on Upper Vallecito.

Chris, it's not Christopher creek, but if you were wondering...Chris creek doesn't run very often. You need snow in AZ high country (which happens some, since they do have ski resorts), followed by warm temps. Or just a quick rainstorm. I think we posted the gauge on coloradokayaking.com, but if not they have one on the usgs sight. It's a barometer gauge on tonto (see AW streams for AZ). Peak is usually mid February according to the locals.

#9 ·
Cutch,

Was everything good to go on Big Wood? The line on the falls looks tough, does it run easier than it looks/camera angle? The pinch looks sweet.

I'll start checking out logistics for upper V.

Steve.

#10 ·
Hey Steve,

I can't completely say that I ran the falls. We were there at very low flow 2 years ago. It was probably the last run on it for the season (early August?). That being said we were super hung over (Gillman said I was kicked out of the bar, but my last memory was doing Jager shots with two lesbians), had to fix a flat at the takeout parking lot after our scout, and were getting eaten alive by the biggest horse flies I had ever seen in some brutal afternoon heat.

We did rally to do something, and put in directly above the pinch. The pinch was super fun, but the pictures actually make it look bigger than it really is. It's not that steep. Just bony, long, and gets narrow, but the pool is great. I'm sure at high water it would be kick ass.

Ran everything else down, which was low flow. Took out above the set of portages at the bottom, and then because of low water, I ended up lowering my boat down past the entrance of Big T falls, and running the river left channel and the main huck. Really fun.

It was super fun, and you can tell that with the right level it would be absolutely sick. As it was we checked out an amazing run at less than ideal flow, but enough water to run most of the run.

laters

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.